Isle de France Infanterie
Origin and History
The regiment was created on September 20 1684. Indeed, expecting a Coalition to soon form against France, Louis XIV raised 30 new regiments from September 1 to 30 for the defence of the various places of the realm. By raising one regiment a day, he avoided any problem of precedence among these new regiments.
During the War of the Polish Succession, the regiment initially served on the Rhine in 1733. In 1734, it was at Philippsburg.
From 1739 to 1741, the regiment was stationed in Corsica.
During the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment initially served in the Alps from 1743 to 1746. In 1747, it was transferred to Provence and stationed at Nice where it remained until 1748.
The regiment counted only one battalion.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment ranked 89th and was under the command of:
- since February 1 1749: marquis de Morbecque
- from February 20 1761 to November 25 1762: marquis de Seignelay
The regiment was disbanded on November 25 1762.
Service during the War
From 1756 to 1762, the regiment was stationed on the coasts of Flanders to prevent any British amphibious operation.
By August 1 1757, the regiment was garrisoning Ostende in Flanders.
|Waistcoat||grey-white (blue in 1761)|
Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet. Fusiliers carried a sword (brass hilt) while the grenadiers had a sabre.
The colonel flag was white with a white cross. Ordonnance flags had a white cross and four isabelle (coffee) cantons, each containing a black vertical triangle pointing towards the edges.
Menguy, Patrice; Les Sujets du Bien Aimé
Pajol, Charles P. V., Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VII, Paris, 1891
Rogge, Christian; The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Sommaire des forces armées Françaises à l'intérieur et à l'extérieur de la France - 1er Août 1757, Service Historique de l'Armée de Terre