Origin and History
This third guard regiment, the Izmáylovskiy Leib-Guard, was raised by Empress Anna and placed under the command of von Löwenwald. Its troopers mostly came from Ukraine, Estonia and Courland.
At the beginning of the Seven Years War, the regiment (totalling 2,536 men including 327 non-combatants) consisted of:
- Senior Staff (6 officers)
- Junior staff
- 3 officers
- 265 non-combatants
- 3 battalions, each of these battalions (totalling 16 officers, 664 men and 20 non-combatants) consisting of:
- 4 musketeer companies (of 210 men each)
- 1 grenadier company (200 men)
- 1 artillery command with 8 x 3-pdrs guns (each including 2 x 6-pdr mortars affixed to its carriage) only six 3-pdr guns according to the work of the Grosser Generalstab
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
To do: identify the successive commanders during the SYW
Service during the War
During the entire Seven Years War, the regiment was stationed in Saint Petersburg.
In 1757 3 sergeants, 15 captains, 12 NCOs of the regiment volunteered to join Schuvalov’s Observation Corps. They were all promoted upon incorporation in this corps.
|Coat||dark green with 9 golden buttons on the right side on the chest and 9 red buttonholes, and 2 golden buttons in the small of the back|
N.B.: the coat was usually not worn during summer campaigns
|Waistcoat||long sleeved red waistcoat with 9 golden buttons and 9 red trimmed buttonholes, and with 2 en patte d'oie pockets each with 3 golden buttons and 3 red trimmed buttonholes|
|Gaiters||white with 10 copper buttons (black in winter)|
During winter, guard units wore knee-length dark green cape.
Troopers were armed with a musket, a bayonet and a sabre.
Most officers wore gold laced tricorne (gold/black pompons) but some officers wore a mitre.
Officer’s coat was similar to other rank’s but with a gold laced collar and lateral pockets closed by lapels en patte d’oie with 3 golden buttons each. Generally officers wore the coat with opened turnbacks. They also wore green breeches and yellow gloves.
For all Guard officers, a two pieces metallic decoration was fixed on the lapel: the upper half (removable) represented EP and two grenades, the lower an eagle with two grenades. The waist belt was heavily embroidered in gold.
Officers carried a musket in action, the use of halberds and spontoons was abandoned.
Officers also carried a sword suspended to a red leather belt.
Officers had a red leather cover to protect and decorate the patronna sumka.
Officer’s saddlecloth and holsters were red with round posterior corner, edged with one or two gold stripes (the inner broader), as rank distinction. EPI ciphers on the corner and holsters.
Staff officers wore a black and gold sash.
Drummers wore the same uniform as the troopers with swallow nests on shoulders and braids on cuffs, pockets and collar.
Fifers wore the same uniform as the troopers with braids on cuffs, pockets and collar (no swallow nests on the shoulders).
The Drum Major had a gold edge on his tricorne, and gold braids on cuffs and collar.
Drums were made in copper, the regimental coat of arms engraved in the front, bordered in red and green, green and white cords.
Important notice: Even though our illustrations depict yellow laces, the colour of the braids on the uniforms of the musicians were chosen by the colonel. For instance, it could have been the distinctive colour of the regiment (green for Izmailovskiy). They were often decorated with red “XXXX” in the middle.
The flags measured 1,62 m. x 2,66 m., with a gold finial and silver cords and tassels. The flags were fringed in gold and mounted on a 3,35 m. white wooden pole. The three Guard regiments had flags of similar design. However, the distinctive colour of each regiment (green in the case of Izmailovskiy) was used on the outer border and the part wrapped around the flagpole. Moreover, the Colonel flag seems to have more gilding than the Ordonnance flag.
Funcken, L. and F., Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
Grosser Generalstab Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II: Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Part 3 Der siebenjährige Krieg 1756-1763, Vol. 4 Groß-Jägersdorf und Breslau, Berlin, 1902, Anlage 1
Pengel and Hurt, Russian Infantry of the Seven Years War, Birmingham, 1976
Schirmer, Friedrich: Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, hrsg. von der KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, überarb. u. aktual. Neuauflage 1989
Viskovatov, A. V., Historical Description of the Clothing and Arms of the Russian Army, vol. 3, Petersburg: 1900
Znosko-Borovsky, N.; History of the Izmaylovskaiy Leib-Guard Regiment; Sankt-Peterburg, 1882
Carlo Bessolo for the initial description of the uniforms
Tomasz Karpiński for the additional information on the service of this regiment from 1756 to 1763