Jungkenn Müntzer Fusiliers
Origin and History
This fusilier regiment was established on January 30 1742 at Wesel. Each of its companies received 10 soldiers from Hautcharmoy Infantry (IR28). The rest were recruited in the German Reich. It garrisoned Wesel from 1742 to 1756.
During the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment did not take part to any campaign, continuing to assume its garrison duties at Wesel. Only its grenadier companies saw active service. From 1747, it had no recruiting canton.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
- since January 14 1749: Martin Eberhard von Jungkenn Müntzer von Mohrenstamm
- from January 4 1759: Rudolph August von Hoffmann
- from February 5 1760 to December 9 1764: Johann von Grant
The regimental numbering system (Stammliste) was first used by Leopold I, Fürst von Anhalt-Dessau (Der alte Dessauer) in the Dessauer Spezifikation from 1737. Around 1780 the numbers were used in the printed Stammlisten, still with some variations for the fusilier regiments. It became official by "Cabinets-Ordre" from October 1, 1806. The present infantry regiment was attributed number 44.
The regiment was disbanded in 1806 after the capitulations of Hameln and Ratekau.
Service during the War
In 1756, the regiment continued to assume garrison duties in Wesel.
In March 1757, when the French started the invasion of Hanover, the regiment evacuated Wesel and joined the Allied army under the command of the Duke of Cumberland at Bielefeld. It took part in minor actions where it suffered some 200 casualties. It later retreated to Magdeburg, loosing more than 200 men to desertion.
In 1758, the regiment served with the Prussian army of Saxony.
In 1759, the regiment served once more with the Prussian army of Saxony. Its second battalion defended Leipzig and Torgau but was forced to capitulate in front of the superior forces of the Reichsarmee. Meanwhile, its first battalion defended Dresden as part of Schmettau's detachment which surrendered on September 4. However, the garrison was allowed to freely leave the city. On September 8, the 2nd battalion of the regiment took part in the Combat of Zinna where it was deployed on the left wing. By September 21, the 2nd battalion had made a junction with Finck's Corps and took part in the Combat of Korbitz where it was deployed in the second line of the left wing under Major-General Wunsch.
In 1761, the regiment served with the Prussian army of Saxony.
In 1762, the regiment took part in the campaign in Saxony. On May 12, it was at the attack on Freiberg. On October 29, it fought in the Battle of Freiberg as part of Taube's Brigade, storming the heights of Gross Schirma.
N.B.: During the war the grenadiers from the wing grenadier companies were put together with the grenadiers of Fusilier Regiment 41, forming the Nr. III. "Standing" Grenadier Battalion (please refer to this article for the details of the service of the grenadiers during the war).
|Coat||Prussian blue lined red with 6 brass buttons and 6 red braid loops with white tassels grouped two by two on each side on the breast, 2 brass buttons on the right side at the waist, 2 red braid loops on each side at the waist, 1 red braid loop with white tassel on each side in the small of the back, and 3 brass buttons on each side to fasten the skirts forming the turnbacks
Privates were armed with a short musket, a bayonet and a curved blade sabre.
NCOs wore uniforms quite different from those of the privates with the following distinctions:
- no shoulder strap
- no braid loop on the coat (golden braid loops introduced after 1763)
- each cuff edged with two stripes of golden lace
- yellowish leather gloves
- black and white sabre tassel
NCOs were armed with a sabre and a dark brown half-pikes measuring 7 ½ Rhenish feet (2.37 m.) in the fusilier companies and 13 Rhenish feet (4.10 m.) in the grenadier companies (carried by the 3 most senior NCOs while other grenadier NCOs were armed with rifled muskets since 1744).
NCOs also carried canes (normally attached to a button at the top of the right front while carrying the half-pike).
The uniforms of the officers were very similar to those of the privates with the following exceptions:
- black tricorne laced gold with black and white quartered pompoms and a yellow button (officers always wore tricornes notwithstanding if they were commanding musketeers, fusiliers or grenadiers)
- white neck stock
- no shoulder strap on the coat
- no turnbacks on the coat
- golden lace loops on the coat (supposedly 3 on each side on the breast, 3 on each side at the waist, 2 on each side in the small of the back, 3 on each pocket, 3 on each sleeve)
- black and silver sash around the waist
- a silver and gold gorget
Officers carried dark brown spontoons measuring 7 ½ Rhenish feet (2.36 m.) and an officer stick.
The laces of the drummers consisted of a 4.8 cm wide lace and a 3.2 cm narrow lace both of the same pattern (yellow braid bordered in red and edged white, decorated with a black and white pattern).
The uniforms of the drummers were similar to those of the privates but had much more elaborate lacing and other peculiarities:
- 5 vertical narrow drummer laces and 1 horizontal wide drummer lace on each shoulder
- coat, pockets and cuffs edged with the drummer lace
- each sleeve decorated with 7 horizontal wide drummer laces with white tassels at each extremity
- no buttonhole on the chest but 2 buttonholes with white tassels decorated with the narrow drummer lace at the waist on each side
- one buttonhole decorated with the narrow drummer lace on each side in the small of the back
Colonel flag (Leibfahne): White field. Centre device consisting of a light blue medallion surrounded by a golden laurel wreath and surmounted by a gold crown. The medallion is decorated with a black eagle holding a sword and lightning bolts surmounted by a white scroll bearing the golden motto "Pro Gloria et Patria". Corner monograms (crowns, laurel wreaths, “FR” ciphers) and grenades in gold.
Regimental flags (Kompaniefahnen): Light blue field with red corner wedges. Centre device consisting of a white medallion surrounded by a golden laurel wreath and surmounted by a gold crown. The medallion is decorated with a black eagle holding a sword and lightning bolts surmounted by a light blue scroll bearing the golden motto "Pro Gloria et Patria". Corner monograms (crowns, laurel wreaths, “FR” ciphers) and grenades in gold.
The pikes used as staffs for the colours were dark brown.
Bleckwenn, Hans, Die Uniformen der Preußischen Infanterie 1753-1786, Teil III/Bd. 3, Osnabrück 1973
Bleckwenn, Hans, Die friderzianischen Uniformen 1753-1786, Bd. I Infanterie I, Osnabrück 1984
Boltze, Eberhard; Die Infanterie Friedrichs des Großen nach dem Stande von 1785 nebst Rückblick bis 1740, Dresden, November 1927, pp. 28-29, Annex III and IV
Brauer, M.; Heer und Tradition / Heeres-Uniformbogen (so-called “Brauer-Bogen”), Berlin 1926 -1962
Engelmann, Joachim and Günter Dorn, Die Infanterie-Regimenter Friedrich des Grossen, Podzun-Pallas, 2000
Funcken, Liliane and Fred, Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
Die Bewaffnung und Ausrüstung der Armee Friedrichs des Großen: Eine Dokumentation aus Anlaß seines 200. Todesjahres, 2 erw. Auflage, Raststatt 1986
Guddat, Martin; Grenadiere, Musketiere, Füsiliere: Die Infanterie Friedrichs des Großen, Herford 1986
Hohrath, Daniel: The Uniforms of the Prussian Army under Frederick the Great from 1740 to 1786; Vol. 2; Verlag Militaria, Vienna: 2011, pp. 338-343
Letzius, Dr. Martin and Herbert Knötel d. J.; Deutsche Uniformen, Bd. 1, Das Zeitalter Friedrich des Großen, 240 images, Sturm-Zigaretten GmbH, Dresden 1932
Schirmer, Friedrich; Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, published by KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, Neuauflage 1989
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.