Königlicher Prinz Cuirassiers
Origin and History
This regiment was raised in 1703 as the “Flemming-Kürassiere”.
According to the 1753 État, during peacetime each cuirassier regiment counted 8 companies in 4 squadrons for a total of 514 men and 394 horses.
In 1756, after the surrender of the Saxon Army at Pirna, the entire regiment was distributed among the Prussian cavalry.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
- since 1734 till 1756: Royal Prince of Saxony
The regiment was re-established in 1763 and disbanded in 1778,
Service during the War
At the end of August 1756, when Frederick II invaded Saxony, the regiment retired to Pirna with the rest of the Saxon army. At Pirna, the regiment was deployed on the right wing under von Arnim, as part of von Reitzenstein's Brigade. The Prussians blockaded the Saxon army in Pirna from September 9 until October 15 when the Saxons finally had to surrender. The entire regiment was then distributed among the Prussian cavalry.
|Headgear||black tricorne laced white with a white cockade fastened with a small white button; one light blue bob in each lateral corne|
|Coat||white lined light blue with 6 white buttons (arranged 1-2-3) down to the waist on each side; 3 white buttons under the waist on the right side
|Waistcoat||buff leather kollet edged with a light blue braid with a white central stripe; no button (fastened with hooks and eyes)|
a light blue waistcoat was worn under the kollet
Troopers were armed with ???.
To do: specify particularities of the uniforms of the officers
To do: specify particularities of the uniforms of the musicians
Leibstandarte: white damask field heavily embroidered in gold with silver piping, centre device consisting of a gold shield of ornate design carrying the Royal Polish arms (white eagles and white knights on a red field) and on the centre the arms of Saxony beneath the electoral hat, surmounted by a crimson royal crown and surrounded by green palm leaves. Fringe in silver (buttons color) and light blue (distinctive color = bleu mourant).
Ordinarstandarte: light blue (bleu mourant) damask field heavily embroidered in gold with silver piping; centre device consisting of the golden royal cipher "AR" on a white pedestal surmounted by a royal crown and surrounded by green palm leaves. Fringe in crimson red and silver (buttons color).
The first squadron carried the white colonel (Leib) standard while the 3 other squadrons each carried one ordonnance standard.
Bavaria, Saxony and the Palatinate Supplement: Uniforms & Flags of the Seven Years War. Researched by M.Lange and A. Sharman. Compiled by R.D. Pengel. Artwork by G.R. Hurt. Birmingham, 1981.
Summerfield, Stephen; Saxon Cuirassier in Napoleon Series