Königlicher Prinz Cuirassiers
Origin and History
This regiment was raised in 1703 as the “Flemming-Kürassiere”.
According to the 1753 État, during peacetime each cuirassier regiment counted 8 companies in 4 squadrons for a total of 514 men and 394 horses.
In 1756, after the surrender of the Saxon Army at Pirna, the entire regiment was distributed among the Prussian cavalry.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
- since 1734 till 1756: Royal Prince of Saxony
The regiment was re-established in 1763 and disbanded in 1778,
Service during the War
At the end of August 1756, when Frederick II invaded Saxony, the regiment retired to Pirna with the rest of the Saxon army. At Pirna, the regiment was deployed on the right wing under von Arnim, as part of von Reitzenstein's Brigade. The Prussians blockaded the Saxon army in Pirna from September 9 until October 15 when the Saxons finally had to surrender. The entire regiment was then distributed among the Prussian cavalry.
|Headgear||black tricorne laced white with a white cockade fastened with a small white button; one light blue bob in each lateral corne|
|Coat||white lined light blue with 6 white buttons (arranged 1-2-3) down to the waist on each side; 3 white buttons under the waist on the right side
|Waistcoat||buff leather kollet edged with a light blue braid with a white central stripe; no button (fastened with hooks and eyes)|
a light blue waistcoat was worn under the kollet
Troopers were armed with ???.
To do: specify particularities of the uniforms of the officers
To do: specify particularities of the uniforms of the musicians
Liebfahne: White field, centre device: gold shield of ornate design upon a wreath of green palm leaves, on top a gold crown, lined crimson, set with silver pearls and colored stones, on the shield is a red field on which the arms of Polands (eagle and knight) are in white, on the centre the arms of Saxony beneath the electoral hat.
Ordinarfahne: Bleu mourant (light blue) field, in the centre the monogram A.R. in gold, crimson lined gold crown set with silver pearl and colored stones on a pedestal in white surrounded by pale green palm leaves, a gold design around the border, fringe in crimson and silver.
Bavaria, Saxony and the Palatinate Supplement: Uniforms & Flags of the Seven Years War. Researched by M.Lange and A. Sharman. Compiled by R.D. Pengel. Artwork by G.R. Hurt. Birmingham, 1981.
Summerfield, Stephen; Saxon Cuirassier in Napoleon Series