Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1741 and garrisoned Hanover.
During the Seven Years War the regimental inhaber was:
- since 1741: Count Kielmannsegg
Service during the War
On July 26 1757, during the French invasion of Hanover, the regiment took part in the battle of Hastenbeck where it was deployed in the second line of the left wing under the command of Lieutenant-general Imhoff.
On May 26 1758, the regiment was with Ferdinand's main force in the camp of Nottuln. On May 31, it accompanied Ferdinand in his offensive on the west bank of the Rhine. On June 23, the regiment took part in the battle of Krefeld where it was deployed in the centre in Lieutenant-general von Oberg's Brigade. This brigade ordered to make diversion towards Sankt-Tönis.
In June 1759, during the French offensive in Western Germany, the regiment was part of Wangenheim's corps who had taken position at Dülmen in Westphalia to observe the movement of a French corps under the Marquis d'Armentières. On August 1, the regiment took part in the battle of Minden where it was deployed in Wangenheim's Corps between Kutenhausen and the Weser, in the first line of the infantry centre.
On February 15 1761, the regiment took part in the combat of Langensalza where it was attached to Spörcken's Corps. During the following campaign in Western Germany, on July 16, the regiment took part in the battle of Vellinghausen where it was attached to Lieutenant-General Oheimb's Brigade deployed on the right wing.
By May 23 1762, the regiment was attached to the Corps of the Hereditary Prince of Brunswick operating in Westphalia. On August 30 1762, the regiment took part in the combat of Nauheim where it was attached to Lieutenant-general von Hardenberg's Column. Around 11:00 AM, the regiment was part of those who passed the Wetter to attack the Johannisberg. On September 21, the regiment was present at the combat of Amöneburg where it formed part of Zastrow's Corps occupying the ground immediately before the Brücker Mühle (Zastrow commanded in the absence of Lieutenant-general Hardenberg).
|Coat||red with 2 pewter buttons and 2 white buttonholes under the lapels
|Waistcoat||grass green with 2 horizontal pockets, each with 3 pewter buttons|
Troopers were armed with a musket and a sword, and carried a dark brown haversack with a metal canteen on the left hip.
Officers had silver lace lining the cuffs and lapels, a black cockade hat, a gold gorget with the arms of Hanover in the centre and carried a yellow sash slung over the right shoulder. Sergeants wore straw gloves. Partizans were carried.
Drummers wore a red coat with swallows nest and lace in white.
The drum pattern had hoops in alternating green and red diagonal stripes, white drum cords over a brass drum with the Arms of Hanover in the centre.
Colonel Flag: White field bearing the arms of Hanover (common to all Hanoverian infantry regiments except 10-B).
Regimental Flag: Green field. A crowned wreath within which a sword and shield armored warrior stands. Ciphers and crowns in the corners with scroll below crown reading MISCETUR DECORI VIRTUS. Hereafter, we present an illustration from the Reitzenstein Sammlung, dating from circa 1761 (left) and the interpretation of Hannoverdidi (right).
Biles, Bill, The Hanoverian Army in the 18th Century, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. VI No. 3
Gmundener Prachtwerk, circa 1761
Knötel, H. der Jung, and Hans M. Brauer, Uniformbogen Nr. 45, Berlin
Pengel, R., and G. R. Hurt, German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press
Reitzenstein Sammlung, Bomann Museum, Celle
Rogge, Christian, The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Vial J. L., Nec Pluribus Impar
Yahoo SYW Group Message No. 1481