Origin and History
This permanent regiment was raised in 1719 as garrison regiment in Halland. It was known as the "Horns Värvade Regemente". It recruited its troops mainly in Smålands.
In 1747, the regiment was renamed "Kronprinsens" (Crown Prince Regiment) and belonged to Prince Gustav (future Gustav III).
This permanent unit consisted of 1,088 men in 2 battalions of 4 companies. Each company had 125 privates and 11 officers, NCOs and musicians.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
- since 1747 until 1771: Prince Gustav
Service during the War
At the beginning of the Seven Years' War, 500 men of the regiment were stationed at Landskrona while the 500 remaining men were stationed at Loviisa in Finland.
By the end of August 1757, 6 companies of the regiment (754 men) had been transported across the Baltic towards Swedish-Pomerania while 2 companies (256 men) remained stationed at Loviisa in Finland.
On September 26 1758, a detachment of 150 men of the regiment probably took part in the Combat of Tarmow. Two days later, on September 28, part of the regiment was involved in the successful defence of Fehrbellin against a Prussian assault.
To do: campaigns from 1759 to 1761
|Coat||dark blue with 10 tin buttons down the front with yellow trimmed buttonholes and 2 tin buttons at small of the back
|Gaiters||white stockings with brown leather strap at knee|
Troopers were armed with a sword and a musket. The bayonet was permanently fixed to the musket.
Schirmer as well as Pengel and Hurt mention white trimmed buttonholes.
NCOs wore uniforms similar to those of the privates with the following distinctions:
- a silver lace on the tricorne
- brass buttons (smaller than those of officers)
NCOs carried halberds but no cane.
Officers wore a blue uniform (coat) with blue distinctives (collar, cuffs, turnbacks). They were further distinguished from privates by:
- a gold lace on the tricorne
- no turnbacks on the coat
- a silver gorget
- brass buttons
- blue or black breeches (breeches of the same colour as those of the privates were also worn)
N.B.: contrarily to the custom in other armies, Swedish officers did not wear any sash
Horses were equipped with blue housing with a yellow border.
The uniform of the drummers were usually yellow with the addition of plain white swallows nest on each shoulder. There were no other lace on the sleeves, etc.
The drums were brass. The rims were blue with yellow edging.
The pikes used as staffs to carry the colours were always yellow. The Liffana had gold finials while the Kompanifana had steel finials. The colours measured 2.12 x 1.70 m. (1.81 x 1.33 m. as per Clifford).
Liffana (Colonel flag): white field; centre device is unknown.
Kompanifana (ordonnance flag): dark blue field; centre device consisting of golden rays with a gold star and 3 white crowns in the middle; 1 golden crown in each corner.
The colonel's battalion carried the Liffana and a Kompanifana. The lieutenant-colonel's battalion carried 2 Kompanifanor.
Großer Generalstab, Die Kriege Friedrichs des Großen - Dritter Teil: Der Siebenjährige Krieg 1756–1763. Vol. 6 Leuthen, Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II (Publisher), Berlin 1904, pp.92-107, Annex pp. 11-16
Högman, Hans, Svenska regementen under indelningsverkets dagar
Pengel, R. D. and G. R. Hurt; Swedish Army in Pomerania – 1757-1763, Birmingham, 1983
Schirmer, Friedrich, Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, vol. III, published by KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, Neuauflage 1989, pp. 25-38
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.