Kurmark Land Hussars von Wangenheim
Origin and History
In August 1758, a squadron of Kurmark Provincial Landhussars was raised in Berlin under the name of Land-Husaren-Escadron Wangenheim. This squadron comprised:
- 1 Rittmeister (captain)
- 2 lieutenants
- 2 cornets
- 10-12 NCOs
- 1 trumpeter
- 100 troopers
In April 1762, after the ceasefire with Russia and Sweden, the Kurmark Provincial Hussars were combined with the two Pomeranian Provincial Hussars squadrons and the Neumark Kammer Hussars to form the Provinzial-Husaren-Bataillon Hohendorff totalling 4 squadrons.
During the Seven Years' War, the unit was under the command of:
- from November 18, 1758: Captain Karl Friedrich von Wangenheim
At the end of the Seven Years' War, the Kurmark squadron was disbanded and its troopers incorporated into various Prussian cavalry regiments of the Mark.
Service during the War
The squadron assumed various patrol and escort duties who brought it to Magdeburg, Leipzig, Küstrin and Demmin.
On September 22 1758, the squadron took part in an engagement near Linum where it drove the Swedes back to Fehrbellin.
On October 19 1759, the squadron, along with the Pomeranian Provincial Hussars, took part in an engagement near Demmin.
In 1760, the squadron protected the population fleeing from Berlin from Russian troops.
Initially, the troopers of the squadron, who were recruits destined to regular hussar regiments (Zieten, Ruesch and Werner), wore the uniform of their parent unit. They received a new uniform at the end of September 1757, before the official creation of the unit.
|Headgear||a black felt mirliton with a black wing and with white cords, knots and tassels|
|Pelisse||light orange brown with seams piped with white thread and terminated with "Hungarian knots"
|Dolman||light orange brown with 15 rows of white cords with white metal buttons
|Barrel Sash||red cords with white barrels|
Troopers also had a white mantel carried in a light orange brown sack. They were armed with a musket and maybe a short sabre.
Officers had silver cords and lace to both the pelisse and dolman.
NCOs wore uniforms similar to those of the troopers with the following distinctions:
- silver lace on cuffs of both dolman and pelisse
- black and white cords on mirliton
The uniform of the trumpeters is not known.
Guidons were not carried by militia units.
Bleckwenn, Hans: Die friderzianischen Uniformen 1753-1786, Osnabrück 1984
Cremer, Peter: Die preussischen Landregimenter & -milizen, die Stettiner Haff-Flotille und das Verpflegungswesen der Armee 1756-1753, KLIO-Arbeitgruppe, Heimbach, 1987
Grosser Generalstab Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II, Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Part 3 Der siebenjährige Krieg 1756-1763
- Vol. 1 Pirna und Lobositz, Berlin, 1901, Appendix 1
- Vol. 6 Leuthen, Berlin, 1904, Appendix 6