Kurtrier Infantry

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Reichsarmee >> Kurtrier Infantry

Origin and History

The Archbishop of Trier contributed a regiment to the Reichsarmee during the Seven Years' War. This regiment consisted of 2 battalions (each counting 4 musketeer companies and no grenadier company) and 2 3 pdr for battalion for a total of 1,102 men and 4 guns.

Soubise rated this regiment as "poor". Indeed it was assembled from scratch and filled up almost exclusively with recruits, whose quality could be improved only with better training and battle experience. For some time the II Battalion was commanded to guard the Reichsarmee artillery park: it was put again in the battle order only by the Elector suasion.

Inhaber:

  • no information found yet

During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:

  • Oberst von Coll
  • Oberst von Brackel (1759)


Service during the War

In 1757, the regiment was with the Reichsarmee operating in Thuringia and Saxony. In August, this army combined with a French contingent under the Prince de Soubise to form the Franco-Imperial army for the planned invasion of Saxony. On November 5, when this combined army suffered a crushing defeat at the hands of Frederick II in the battle of Rossbach, the regiment was brigaded with Ferntheil Infantry and Cronegk Infantry under the command of Ferntheil.

On August 30-31 1759 the regiment defended Torgau against Wunsch during the campaign in Saxony.

On August 20 1760, during the campaign in Saxony, the regiment took part in the combat of Strehla.

On October 29 1762, the regiment took part in the battle of Freiberg where it was deployed in the centre, under Rodt, distinguishing itself.

Uniform

Privates

A musketeer of Kurtrier Infantry in 1757. - Source: Richard Knötel Uniformkunde
Uniform in 1757 as per Herbert Knötel
Headgear
Musketeer black tricorne scalloped white with blue and red bobs and a black cockade fastened with a small pewter button
Grenadier not applicable (there were no grenadier company in this regiment)
Neckstock black
Coat white “Austrian style” coat lined red with 3 pewter buttons under the right lapel and 1 pewter button in the small of the back on each side
Collar none
Shoulder Straps probably red fastened by a pewter button (left shoulder only)
Lapels red, each with 10 pewter buttons arranged 2 by 2
Pockets probably horizontal pockets, each with 3 pewter buttons
Cuffs red, each with 3 pewter buttons
Turnbacks red
Waistcoat white with 1 row of small pewter buttons and with horizontal pockets, each with probably 3 pewter buttons
Breeches white
Gaiters black
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt white
Waistbelt white with a brass buckle
Cartridge Box black
Bayonet Scabbard black with brass fittings
Scabbard none
Footgear black shoes


Officers

no information found yet

Musicians

Musicians wore a very different uniform:

  • black tricorne laced white
  • light blue coat with red facings and pewter buttons
  • light blue waistcoat and breeches

Colours

Colonel flag (Leibfahne): White field, light blue border with dark blue edging; vegetation green with gold rococò work, hair tresses yellow gold. Centre device consisting of the crowned arms of the Bishopric of Trier supported by two crowned golden lions; corner devices consisting of a golden crowned monogram with the cypher "EC".

Regimental flags (Kompaniefahnen): White field, light blue border with dark blue edging; centre device consisting of the crowned red cross of Trier surrounded by a golden necklace and golden embroideries; corner devices consisting of a golden crowned monogramwith the cypher "EC".

Note: these colours are illustrated in Gisby's website at Flags of the Reichsarmee during the Seven Years' War.

Lange in Pengel & Hurt -Bavaria, Saxony & the Palatinate supplement- gives a different description which however seems to apply to the 1768 model. The flag measures 220x208 cm. White field bordered with two yellow stripes; Between the two stripes there is a vine pattern in green: where the vines meet in a corner there is a golden rosette. Centre device consisting of the crowned arms of the Bishopric of Trier supported by two green plant leaves (palm branches?) and four small trophy flags, the lower two light blue the upper two red. Beneath the central shield there is a light blue banderole. A light blue ribbon winds its way through the plant leaves, the two endes meeting under the Elector's cap.

References

  • Boehm, E.; Rottgardt, D.: Die Reichsarmee 1757-1763 I. Teil. Zusammensetzung und Organisation, Manuskript, KLIO - Arbeitsgruppe 7jähriger Krieg, 1979.
  • Boehm, E.; Rottgardt, D., Weirich, W.-D.: Die Reichsarmee 1757-1763 II. Teil. Die einzelnen Einheiten, ihre Stärke, Zusammensetzung, Uniform und Feldzeichen, Manuskript, KLIO - Arbeitsgruppe 7jähriger Krieg, o. J.
  • C. Duffy: By Force of Arms, Vol. II of the Austrian Army in the Seven Years War, Emperor's Press 2008
  • Pengel, R.D. and G.R. Hurt: "Uniform of Swedish and German States, Line and Cannon of the Seven Years war", Birmingham 1978.
  • Pengel, R.D. and G.R. Hurt: "The Reichsarmee. Organisation, Flags and Uniform supplement 1756-1762", Birmingham 1983.
  • Pengel, R.D. and G.R. Hurt: "Bavaria, Saxony and the Palatinate Supplement: Uniforms and Flags of the Seven Years War", Birmingham 1981.
  • Rogge, Christian: The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
  • Smith, Digby: Armies of the Seven Years War, Spellmount, 2012
  • Woods, James: Armies and Uniforms of the Seven Years War, Vol. II - The Coalition Forces: France, The Reichsarmee & Saxony, Partizan Press 2007

N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.