La Viefville Saint-Chamond Infanterie
Origin and History
This regiment was raised in Lorraine by Louis marquis de Nettancourt on October 26 1629 when Louis XIII was preparing war against Savoie.
The regiment counted two battalions.
During the War of the Polish Succession, the regiment served on the Rhine in 1732 and 1733 and in Germany from 1734 to 1736. He was then transferred to Languedoc in 1737.
During the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment was initially stationed at Besançon in 1741. In 1742, it was transferred in Strasbourg and served in Alsace in 1743. In 1744, it was at Augenheim and Fribourg. In 1745, it served on the Rhine, then in Flanders in 1746.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment ranked 21st and was under the command of:
- Since February 1 1749: Charles Louis Auguste de La Vieuville, marquis de Saint-Chamond
- From May 11 1762 to January 3 1770: Eugène Octave Augustin, comte de Rosen
On December 10 1762, the regiment took the name of the province of Dauphiné. In fact, it was the reinstatement of a regiment who previously had existed from 1684 à 1749.
Service during the War
In 1756, the regiment was supposed to take part to the expedition against Minorca. However, it was still on its way to Toulon when the fleet finally put to see before its arrival. For this reason, the regiment did not take part to the expedition. At the end of April, Richelieu sent order instructing the regiment to defend the coasts of Provence against any potential British raid.
In April 1757, the regiment was sent to Nantes. It was still on its way when, on May 13 in Angoulême, it was instructed to rather march to Strasbourg to join the Army of Saxony commanded by Soubise. Somewhere between August 23 and September 6, it joined the assembling army in the area of Erfurt and Eisenach. On September 27, it was brigaded with the Cossé-Brissac and Castellas regiments under the Prince Camille in the second line of the left wing of the Franco-Imperial Army. The grenadiers of the regiment distinguished themselves at Weissensels where they destroyed a bridge in front of the Prussians. On November 5, the regiment was at Rossbach where it formed a brigade along with the Cossé-Brissac Regiment under M. de Custine. Their brigade supported the left wing of Piémont Infanterie in the first line. The regiment lost 400 men and its colonel was wounded. The regiment was then sent back to France. At the end of the year, it took its winter quarters in Düsseldorf, in the fourth line of the French Army.
On April 18 1758, the regiment was at Lille where it received new recruits to replenish its ranks. It was then sent to Normandie for the protection of the coasts after the battle of Saint Cast.
On March 11 1759, the regiment was sent to Alençon, then to Belle-Isle where it remained till October 1760.
Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet. Fusiliers carried a sword (brass hilt) while the grenadiers had a sabre.
Officers were distinguished by their collar and cuffs made of crimson velvet.
Drummers wore the unknown livery of the colonel-owner: the marquis de Saint Chamond. Later, they wore the livery of the House of Rosen (yellow field).
The colonel flag was white with a white cross. The ordonnance flags had a white cross with four green quarters, each charged with a white diamond shape.
Evrard P.; Praetiriti Fides
Menguy, Patrice; Les Sujets du Bien Aimé
Mouillard, Lucien; Les Régiments sous Louis XV, Paris 1882
Pajol, Charles P. V., Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VII, Paris, 1891
Rogge, Christian; The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Vial J. L.; Nec Pluribus Impar