Origin and History
The frigate was built by Gorill & Pownall at Liverpool, according to the design of the Lowestoffe (28) and launched on February 10 1758.
During the Seven Years' War, the frigate was under the command of:
- from March 16 1758: captain Richard Knight
- from September 13 1762: captain Edward Clark (committed suicide on board in May 1764)
The frigate was driven ashore and wrecked on Long Island on February 11 1778 while carrying despatches from the Delaware to New York.
Service during the War
On July 1, the frigate sailed from Liverpool for the Black Rock where she stopped several vessels to impress men into the Royal Navy. On July 27, off Crosby Point, a gale drove her ashore on the sands. Her captain managed to bring her back into deep water on August 3. She retruned to the docks on August 19 for refitting. In October, she escorted a convoy from Dublin to Sheerness.
In the summer and automn of 1759, the frigate was part of commodore William Boys' squadron blockading the French squadron of Thurot at Dunkerque. In May, she captured a 6-guns French privateer and brought her into Margate Roads. Later during the blockade, she captured the privateer Grand Amiral (10). In October, Boys' squadron was driven from his station by a gale. On October 15 at 5:00 PM, Thurot seized the opportunity, slipped out through a thick fog and made to the northward.
From 1760 to 1764, the frigate served in the English Channel and North Sea.
To do: more details on the campaign from 1760 to 1762
|Crew||approx. 200 men|
|Length at gundeck||118 ft 4 in (36.07 m.)|
|Width||33 ft 8 in (10.26 m.)|
|Depth||approx. 10 ft 2 in (3.10 m.)|
Blasco, Manuel, British 6th Rates, 3 Decks Wiki
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.