Ludlow Castle (44)
Origin and History
The frigate was built by James Taylor at Rotherhithe and launched on July 31 1744.
During the Seven Years' War, the frigate was under the command of:
- in January 1759: captain Edward Clark
The frigate was broken up on June 15 1771.
Service during the War
At the end of 1758, the frigate transported part of the II./42nd Royal Highland Foot from Scotland to the West Indies.
At the beginning of January 1759, the frigate was among the fleet assembled at Carlisle Bay in Barbados under commodore John Moore for the planned expedition against the Martinique and Guadeloupe islands. On January 13, the whole British force sailed for Martinique Island. On January 15, the fleet lay off the bay of Fort Royal (actual Fort de France). On January 18, after an unsuccessful attempt of the land troops to capture Fort Royal, the British fleet proceeded to Saint-Pierre, the second town in Martinique. On January 19, the attack of the coastal batteries failed and commodore Moore decided to redirect his efforts against the island of Guadeloupe. On January 22, the British fleet reached Basse-Terre. On January 23, the fleet bombarded the citadel and town of Basse-Terre which were almost entirely destroyed. On January 24, British troops landed and occupied the town. Until March 11, most of the fleet remained idle in front of Basse-Terre. Moore then transported most of the land forces to Fort Louis before falling back to Prince Rupert's Bay in the Island of Dominica, in order to cover Basse-Terre and the British Leeward Islands from the threat of the newly arrived French squadron. The island of Guadeloupe finally capitulated on May 1.
To do: more details on the campaigns from 1760 to 1762
|Length at gundeck||not available|
Blasco, Manuel, British 5th Rates, 3 Decks Wiki
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.