Origin and History
The ship was built by Jacques-Luc Coulomb in Brest, starting in December 1742, and launched on March 7 1749. She was first commissioned in July 1750.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- in November 1759: Captain Bigot de Morogues
The ship was wrecked on the rocky coast of Lovells Islans at the entrance of the harbour of Boston on August 15 1782.
Service during the War
In November 1759, in preparation for the planned invasion of England, the ship set sail for Quiberon Bay with the Brest Fleet. On November 20, she took part in the battle of Quiberon where she was attached to the third division under the Chef d'escadre Saint-André-du-Verger who assumed most of the fighting. At 2:30 PM, she sustained the first attacks of several British ships and fought for an hour before being forced to disengage. After the defeat, during the night of November 20 to 21, the ship along with 7 other French ships of the line hauled in for the Aix island and took refuge at Rochefort.
|Crew||6 officers and 660 men|
|Length at gundeck||165' (53.59 m) in French feet|
|Width||43' (13.99 m)|
|Depth||20' 4" (6.60 m)|
Blasco, Manuel, 3 Decks
French Wikipedia Le Magnifique (1750)
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.