Origin and History
This gentleman regiment was raised in 1589 by the Count of Vaubecourt. On April 24 1610, when France was arming against the House of Austria, it was admitted into the ranks of the French Royal army.
The regiment counted two battalions and had prévôté (provostship).
N.B.: Christian Rogge gives four battalions for this regiment.
When the army was reorganised in 1762, the regiment took the name of the province of Guyenne. However, the Chevalier de Chatellux retained his command till 1771.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment ranked 11th and was commanded by:
- since December 1 1745: Louis Marquis de Mailly
- from January 15 1758: César Marie Marquis de Talaru
- from November 5 1761 to April 17 1771: Chevalier de Chatellux
Service during the War
In 1757, the regiment left Cambrai to join the army of Maréchal d'Estrées (Lower Rhine Army). At the end of June, it was at the camp of Bielefeld with d'Estrées' main corps. On July 26, the regiment was at the battle of Hastenbeck where it was part of the center under Contades. It lost more than 150 men during this battle. After the victory, it encamped at Grosselsen near Hameln with the main body of the Lower Rhine Army from July 31 to August 2. In October, the regiment was transferred to the army of Saxony. On November 5, under the Comte de Lorges, it took part to the battle of Rossbach where it was placed in the second line of the centre. Once more, it suffered heavy losses during this battle. After this defeat, it retreated on Hanover. At the end of the year, it took its winter quarters at Paderborn, Bielefeld and Rehda; in the fourth line of the French Army.
In January 1758, the regiment retreated again, first on Hildesheim, then on Wesel in March. From Wesel, it returned to France where it was assigned to the protection of the coasts of Bretagne and cantonned in Brest.
In 1759, To Do... (Notes: repulsed British landing in the Bay of Cancale. Detached 200 men to the fleet.)
In 1760, To Do... (Notes: no event identified yet...)
In 1761, To Do... (Notes: winter-quarters in Saint-Omer, joined army of the Lower-Rhine at Wesel. Took part to the actions at Luynen, Vellinghausen. After this battle, it was sent to reinforce the army of Maréchal de Broglie. In September, it occupied the Sabbaborg forest to cover the right flank of the army. It was vigourously attacked in this forest but managed to retire without major losses. In November 1761, it was renamed Chatellux.
In 1762, the regiment did not take an important part to the campaign.
In March 1763, the regiment returned to France.
Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet. Fusiliers carried a sword (brass hilt) while the grenadiers had a sabre.
The drummers of the regiment wore the livery of the colonel: Mailly from 1745 to 1758, Talaru from 1758 to 1761 and Chatellux from 1761 to 1762.
The colonel flag was white and the ordonnance flags had a white cross with quarters alternatively red and violet.
Chesnaye des Bois (de la), Aubert; Etrennes militaires, Paris, 1756, 1758, 1759
Evrard P.; Praetiriti Fides
Menguy, Patrice; Les Sujets du Bien Aimé
Mouillard, Lucien; Les Régiments sous Louis XV, Paris 1882
Pajol, Charles P. V., Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VII, Paris, 1891
Rogge, Christian; The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Vial J. L.; Nec Pluribus Impar