Origin and History
The ship was built by Joseph-Louis Olivier at Brest and launched in May 1740.
This French ship was captured by the British Navy on October 11 1746 off Cape Clear. It was first commissioned in that navy in March 1747.
From 1749 to 1751, the ship was a guardship at Plymouth. In 1752, it transported troops to the Island of Minorca.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- from January 1753 to July 24 1755: Captain John Amherst
On July 24 1755, the ship was wrecked at Halifax.
Service during the War
On April 22 1755, the ship formed part of the fleet of Vice-Admiral Boscawen who sailed from Great Britain to intercept French reinforcements sent to Canada. On July 24, the ship grounded while going into harbour at Halifax on the return thither of Boscawen's Squadron and she was impossible to get off again.
|Length||159 feet 3 inches (48,46 m)|
|Width||44 feet 9 inches (13,42 m)|
|Depth||18 feet 4 inches (5,50 m)|
Clowes, Wm. Laird, The Royal Navy – A History from the Earliest Time to the Present, Vol. III, Sampson Low, Marston and Company, London: 1898, p. 289
Harrison, Simon; Three Decks - Warships in the Age of Sail
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is partly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.