Origin and History
The regiment was raised in the summer of 1758 and was garrisoned in Hameln. Initially, it was not considered as a regular line infantry regiment and was known as the 1st Neues Bataillon (New Battalion) rather than by the name of its colonel.
This regiment was exceptionally organised into five companies of 200 men for a total strength of 1,000 men.
During the Seven Years War the regimental inhabers were:
- since 1758: von Marschalk
- from 1759: von Monroy
In 1763, this regiment was incorporated into Prinz Karl von Mecklenberg Infantry (No. 10A).
Service during the War
On October 10 1758, 700 men of the regiment took part in the battle of Lutterberg where they fought in the first line of the centre. Meanwhile, the remaining 300 men were garrisoning Osnabrück.
On April 13 1759, the regiment took part in the battle of Bergen where it formed part of the second column under the Prince von Ysenburg deployed on the left wing of the Allied army. Prinz Isenburg, who had been a rallying point for Hessian resistance against the French, fell leading the repeated assaults up a steep slope against the abattis situated around the village. The French units in Bergen were strengthened by a reserve who blunted these attacks. After repeated attempts to storm the village of Bergen, the Hanoverian and Hessian troops withdrew. In June, the regiment was part of Imhoff's corps operating in Hesse.
On July 31 1760, the regiment took part in the Battle of Warburg where it was deployed in the second line of the right wing in front of Ossendorf.
|Coat||red with 2 pewter buttons and 2 white buttonholes under the lapels
|Waistcoat||white with 2 horizontal pockets, each with 3 pewter buttons|
Troopers were armed with a musket and a sword, and carried a dark brown haversack with a metal canteen on the left hip.
Officers had silver lace lining the cuffs and lapels, a black cockade hat, a gold gorget with the arms of Hanover in the centre and carried a yellow sash slung over the right shoulder. Sergeants wore straw gloves. Partizans were carried.
Drummers wore a red coat with swallows nest and lace in white.
The drum pattern had hoops in red, white drum cords over a brass drum with the Arms of Hanover in the centre.
Exceptionally, this regiment did not carry the King's colour. Instead, it seems that it carried two regimental colours. The descriptions of these colours vary widely from one author to another. Hereafter, we follow the description of the Celler Soldatenbuch.
Regimental Colours: light green field; centre device consisting of an obelisk surrounded by trophies; a scroll above carrying the motto PRAEMIA FUTURA.
Biles, Bill: The Hanoverian Army in the 18th Century, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. VI No. 3
Knötel, H. der Jung, and Hans M. Brauer: Uniformbogen Nr. 45, Berlin
Niemeyer, Joachim, and Georg Ortenburg: The Hanoverian Army during the Seven Years War
Pengel, R., and G. R. Hurt: German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press
Rogge, Christian: The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Vial J. L., Nec Pluribus Impar