Origin and History
The regiment consisted of 2 battalions. Each of these battalions counted 4 fusilier companies (140 men each) and 1 grenadier company (100 men). Furthermore, each battalion had 2 light 4-pdrs battalion guns.
Since June 20 1756, the garrison place of the regiment was Braunau. In July 1757, it recruited in Landshut. In May 1758, it recruited in Straubing.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment Inhaber were:
- since January 1 1730: Christoph Adam Ossalco Count von Minucci
- from January 15 1759: Colonel Franz Joseph Servatius Basselet Baron de la Rosée
- from July 30 1764: Colonel Max Emanuel Baron von Lerchenfeld
The successive commanders of the regiment were:
- since 1718: Colonel Edmund Count von Buttler
- from 1732: Colonel Johann Georg Karl von Moraan
- from 1741: Colonel Max Emanuel Joseph Count von Sanfré
- from 1742: Colonel Kaspar Count von Fabretti
- from August 1746: Colonel Franz Joseph Servatius Basselet Baron de la Rosée
- from 1759 to 1763: Colonel Johann Peter von Moro
In September 1764, the regiment was transferred to Ingolstadt to assume garrison duty.
Service during the War
In April 1757, the first battalion of the regiment was assigned to the Auxiliary Corps which was being assembled to serve with the Austrian Army on the basis of a subsidy contract settled with France on March 29. In August, its second battalion also joined this Auxiliary Corps which was assigned to the Austrian Corps under the command of Count Nádasdy. In October, the regiment took part in the siege and capture of Schweidnitz. On November 22, both battalions were at the Battle of Breslau where they formed part of the Corps of Count Seyssel d’Aix on the right wing of the second line. A few weeks later, on December 5 at the Battle of Leuthen, the regiment was part of Nádasdy's Corps on the left wing. It was deployed in the centre of this corps in the second line near the Württemberger Contingent whose fate they shared, being routed by the Prussian troops who attacked the flank of the left wing.
In April 1758, each Bavarian regiment contributed 1 company of fusiliers and 1 company of grenadiers to a converged regiment placed under the command of Colonel de la Rosée. During the Siege of Olmütz, this converged regiment distinguished itself against the Prussian besiegers but it lost more than 100 men in these combats. In July, the various companies forming this converged regiment rejoined their respective units. In August, the Minucci Regiment took part in the siege of Neisse. The regiment bravely defended its position when the Prussians made a sortie against the rearguard of the Austrian army. After the withdrawal of the Prussians, the regiment counted only some 1,000 men. On December 7, the owner of the regiment died. He was replaced by its former commander: Colonel Franz de la Rosée.
In January 1759, the regiment returned to Braunau, its garrison place. The regiment then remained in Bavaria till the end of the war.
|Coat||Austrian style blue coat with 3 white buttons under the lapel and 1 white button in the small of the back
|Waistcoat||light yellow with small white buttons|
Schirmer mentions straw as the distinctive colour and straw breeches.
Staudinger mentions yellow as the distinctive colour with yellow buttons and white or straw breeches.
Gillardon mentions yellow as the distinctive colour with light blue breeches.
The officers were distinguished by a silver lace on the tricorne which was also decorated with a black cockade fastened with a silver lace, and a silver gorget decorated with golden arms of Bavaria.
The horses of the mounted officers had a yellow shabraques and yellow pistol housings, all trimmed in white.
From 1759, the musicians wore the livery of La Rosée: yellow coat with bleu mourant (light blue) waistcoat and facings. The coat was decorated with frogs, swallow nests and laces.
White bandolier edged white/blue.
The white drum barrel was decorated with blue flames and with the crowned arms of Bavaria. The hoops were decorated with white and blue stripes.
The regiment carried 2 colours per battalion. However the unique Leibfahne was carried by the first battalion.
Prior to 1759, the regiment carried the same colours as other Bavarian infantry regiments.
In 1759, La Rosée received the privilege to carry the image of the Madonna of Dorfen on his Leibfahne.
- Leibfahne: white field; centre device consisting of an image of the Madonna of Dorfen (a sitting Virgin Mary with infant Jesus sitting on her right thigh; the Virgin has floating curled brown hair and her head slightly leans right, she is luxuriously dressed with a red dress embroidered in gold decorated with silver rosaries and hearts; she holds a golden sceptre in her left hand; her wide middle blue overcoat edged silver surrounds her dress and emphasizes her sovereign status; Jesus holds an orb in his right hand) resting on clouds with her left foot resting on a half moon and her right crushing a snake (with an apple in its jaw)
Boehm, E.; Rottgardt, D., Die Reichsarmee 1757-63. I. Teil: Zusammensetzung und Organisation, KLIO-Arbeitsgruppe 7jähriger Krieg, Friderzianische Epoche, Manuskript, o.J
Boehm, E.; Rottgardt, D.; Weirich, W.-D., Die Reichsarmee 1757-63. II. Teil: Die einzelnen Einheiten, ihre Stärke, Zusammensetzung, Uniform und Feldzeichen, KLIO-Arbeitsgruppe 7jähriger Krieg, Friderzianische Epoche, Manuskript, o.J.
Funken, Liliane and Fred, Historische Uniformen, Vol. 2
Schnell, Kunstführer Nr. 65 (Erstausgabe 1934), 4. veränderte Auflage 2004
Schirmer, Friedrich: Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, hrsg. von der KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, überarb. u. aktual. Neuauflage 1989
Staatl. Graph. Sammlung, München (original architect´s plan)
Staudinger, Karl, Geschichte des kurbayerischen Heeres unter Kurfürst Karl Albrecht - Kaiser Karl VII. - und Max III. Joseph 1726 - 1777, (Geschichte des bayerischen Heeres 3), J. Lindauer, Munich, 1909
information given by Herbert Moser, Dorfen
rf-figuren for the initial version of this article and Volker Scholz and Herbert Moser for information on the La Rosée Leibfahne