Moldavskiy Hussars

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Russian Army >> Moldavskiy Hussars

Origin and History

During the war against Turkey, from 1736 to 1739, many Moldavians and Wallachians entered Russian service and settled in the southern regions of Russia. Additional recruits joined their ranks, after deserting from the Turkish service, when the Russian army invaded Wallachia.

At the beginning of the war with Sweden, on October 14 1741, the unit was transformed into a regular hussar regiment known as Moldavskiy Hussarskiy (Moldavian Hussar). In theory, it then counted 10 companies for a total of about 1,000 men. However, until July 1759, most Russian hussar regiments counted only 6 squadrons. Tielke specifically mentioned this regiment as counting 600 men during this period.

During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:

  • in 1760: colonel Podgorichani

Service during the War

At the outbreak of the war, the regiment was stationed at Belgorod and Pskov. During the winter of 1756-57, the regiment joined the Russian field army.

In 1757, the regiment took part in the campaign in East Prussia under general count Apraxin. On August 30, at the battle of Gross-Jägersdorf, it was part of the vanguard and belonged to Dolgoruki brigade. When the Russian army deployed, it was placed in the second line of the left wing.

In January 1758, the regiment took part in the Russian invasion of East Prussia. On July 31, during the invasion of Brandenburg, the regiment along with 3 pulks of cossacks was sent to general Braun to be used at outposts on the frontiers of Brandenburg and Silesia. On August 25, the regiment fought at the battle of Zorndorf where it was part of the second line of the cavalry left wing. About mid November, the regiment took its winter quarters in Liebstadt (today Milakowo) as part of Rumyantsev's 3rd Division.

At the beginning of October 1760, during the campaign in Brandenburg, the regiment formed part of Totleben's corps who captured Berlin.

At the beginning of 1761, the regiment was attached to Tottleben's corps during its campaign in Pomerania. After a fight against Werner's corps near Konitz (actual Chojnice), it took its winter quarters.

To do: more details on the campaign of 1762

Uniform

Privates

Uniform in 1757
Source: David at Not By Appointment
Uniform Details
Headgear black kolback with a red bag and red cords, knots and tassels
Neck stock black
Pelisse blue
Fur trim black
Lace 8 red braids
Buttons brass
Dolman red with 8 blue braids and brass buttons
Collar red edged blue
Cuffs red edged with a blue chevron
Breeches red decorated with intricate blue loops
Cloak unknown colour
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt black leather
Waist-sash black and red barrel sash
Scabbard black leather with iron fittings
Boots black Hungarian boots
Horse Furniture
Saddlecloth blue with yellow wolf tooth edging
Sabretache blue, wearing a red “EP” monogram and bordered with a red lace


Troopers were armed with a short, curved sabre and two pistols (no carbine). Zweguintzov mentions that Russian hussars also carried a carbine.

Officers

Officers wore uniforms identical to those of the troopers with the following differences:

  • gold cords and lace
  • yellow Hungarian boots
  • pelisse trimmed with grey fur

NCOs

NCOs wore uniforms identical to those of the troopers with the following differences:

  • gold cords, knots and tassels on the kolback
  • gold lace
  • a golden braid on the border of the collar
  • golden braids on the sleeve (2 for the vakhmistr, 1 for quartermaster)

Musicians

There was 1 kettle-drummer for the regiment and 1 trumpeter for each of the 10 companies. They wore uniforms identical to those of the troopers with the following differences:

  • small wings on the shoulders
  • braids of an unknown colour

Trumpets and kettle drums were made of copper and decorated with red (maybe blue) lace and cords.

Colours

Russian hussar regiments carried no standards during the Seven Years' War.

References

Gromoboy, Vlad, The Russian Pandours - Pandour Hussars (1741-61), Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. XII No. 1

  • Großer Generalstab, Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II (Publisher). Die Kriege Friedrichs des Großen. Dritter Teil: Der Siebenjährige Krieg 1756–1763. Vol. 4 Groß-Jägersdorf und Breslau, Berlin 1902
    • chapter A: Das Kaiserlich Russiche Heer, page 1-46
    • appendix: supplement 1, Das Kaiserlich Russiche Heer, page 3-18

Karpiński, Tomasz; Kampania 1761 r. na Pomorzu Zachodnim, manuscript

Konstam A. & Younghusband B., Russian Army of the Seven Years War, Osprey, London, 1996

Maslowskij, D.; Russkaia armija, vol. 3, p. 43

Schirmer, Friedrich; Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, hrsg. von der KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, überarb. u. aktual. Neuauflage 1989

Tielke, J. G., An Account of some of the most Remarkable Events of the War between the Prussians, Austrians and Russians from 1756 to 1763, Vol. 2, Walter, London, 1788

Vial J. L., Nec Pluribus Impar

Zweguintzov, L'Armee Russe, 1973

N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.