Origin and History
In 1690, Emperor Leopold I had to face the Turks in Hungary and the French in Germany, Piedmont, Savoy and Catalonia. During the winter of 1690-91, he tried to raise new regiments and to replenish the ranks of the old ones. In this precarious situation, Major-General Notger Wilhelm Count Öttingen-Baldern asked to the Hofkriegsrat (Court War Council) for the authorisation to raise an infantry regiment of 10 companies (2 battalions, of 5 companies each) in the Holy Roman Empire. The Hofkriegsrat recommended him to the emperor who issued the necessary decree on January 12 1691. Recruits were mainly enlisted in Franconia and assembled in Nuremberg. Its colonel was initially the Count Öttingen-Baldern, its lieutenant-colonel, Johann Ferdinand Baron von Pfeffershofen (formerly commander of the Infantry Regiment Jörger von Tollet) and its major, Carl Count Zacco.
On March 4 1691, after the death of Franz Count Jörger von Tollet, proprietor of the Infantry Regiment Jörger von Tollet, Count Öttingen-Baldern was appointed proprietor of this vacant regiment. Meanwhile, Johan Ferdinand Baron von Pfeffershofen offered to the Hofkriegsrat to complete enlistment of the new regiment by raising 400 recruits at his own expenses if the Hofkriegsrat appointed him proprietor. His offer was accepted and Baron Pfeffershofen was promoted to colonel of the regiment while Major Carl Count Zacco was promoted to lieutenant-colonel. Once completed, at the end of July 1691, the regiment assumed garrison duties in Ofen (present-day part of Budapest) where it suffered from a plague outbreak.
In 1692, during the Great Turkish War, the regiment was transferred to Transylvania, taking part in the siege of Grosswardein. At the beginning of July, it arrived at Klausenburg (present-day Cluj/RO) where it remained until 1695. On 9 July 1695, the Baron Pfeffershofen was promoted to general (GFWM) but remained commander of the regiment. Captain Carl Joseph Count Fugger was promoted to major. In July 1697, GFWM Baron Pfeffershofen was sent to join the army of Prince Eugène de Savoie. However, his regiment remained in Transylvania. In 1696, the regiment fought in the Battle of Ollasch. At the beginning of 1698, the Baron Pfeffershofen was appointed commander of the Fortress of Ofen; Carl Joseph Count Fugger was promoted to lieutenant-colonel and commander of the regiment; and Hannibal Baron Wellenstein, to major.
After the signature of the Treaty of Karlowitz in 1699, the Imperial army was significantly reduced and the regiment was amalgamated with the regiment of Eberhard Friedrich Baron Neipperg which had been raised in 1698. The latter was appointed proprietor of the amalgamated regiment. Effective amalgamation of the two regiments took place in 1700 in Klausenburg. On this occasion, all pikemen were transformed into musketeers. The “new” regiment comprised 12 companies. It was commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel Carl Joseph Count Fugger and Major Hannibal Baron Wellenstein. Its recruiting area was the entire Holy Roman Empire.
On 26 December 1700, the Baron Pfeffershofen was promoted to Feldmarschall-Lieutenant (FML) and continued to assume command of the Fortress of Ofen.
In 1701, at the outbreak of the War of the Spanish Succession, was garrisoning places in the Comitat of Hunyad in Transylvania as part of Rabutin's Corps. In 1702, the regiment wass employed to secure the frontier. In 1703, it was stationed in Klausenburg with detachments at Thorda, Dées and along the frontier. In 1704, the regiment was attached to the army of G.d.C. Rabutin, military governor of Transylvania. The regiment had to withstand a blockade of nine months in the Castle of Deva. On 11 November 1705, it fought in the Battle of Schibo against Rákóczi's rebels. In 1706, it was present at the Siege of Kaschau (present-day Košice/SK). In 1707, the regiment was once more attached to Rabutin's Corps and suffered heavy losses. In 1708, the regiment campaigned once more under the command of Rabutin. At the beginning of the campaign of 1709, it was stationed in Transylvania. On 10 August, it took part in a combat near Királyhágo. The regiment then fought until 1712 in Transylvania and Upper Hungary against Rákóczi's rebels. In April 1712, the regiment was present at the coronation ceremony of Charles VI at Pressburg (present-day Bratislava/SK). At the end of the year, Lieutenant-Colonel Neipperg was sent to Philippsburg with the grenadiers and one battalion; the other battalion remained in the region of Neutra (present-day Nitra/SK) under the command of Major Späth.
In March 1716, one field battalion of the regiment was sent to Szegedin, soon followed by the other field battalion. In April, one company was transferred to the newly raised regiment Jung-Wallis Regiment. On 5 July, the regiment fought in the Battle of Peterwardein and then took part in the capture of Temesvár. In 1717, it fought in the combat of Orsova.
During the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment took part in the battles of Hohenfriedberg (June 4, 1745) and Soor (September 30, 1745).
As per the Etat nouveau des Troupes de sa Majesté Impériale Royale comme elles se trouvent effectivement l'an 1759 and Etat général des Troupes qui servent sa Majesté Impériale et Royale Apostolique sur pié en 1760, the regiment counted 4 battalions (2 grenadier coys and 16 fusilier coys) for a total of 2,300 men. This was the administrative organisation of the regiment. However, the tactical organisation differed: 2 field fusilier battalions, each of 6 companies; 2 grenadier companies (usually converged with grenadiers from other battalions into an ad hoc unit); and 1 garrison battalion of 4 companies (see Austrian Line Infantry Organisation for more details).
During the Seven Years' War, the chefs of the regiment were:
- from 1717 to 1778: Wilhelm Reinhard Count Neipperg
Colonel-commanders during the Seven Years' War:
- since 1749: Heinrich Voith von Salzburg
- from 1757: Adolf Baron von Phull
- from 1760 until 1771: Johann Wilhelm Schröder von Lilienhof
In 1763, after the war , the regiment garrisoned Leipnik in Moravia.
Regimental numbers were introduced only in 1769 when this regiment was designated as "I.R. 7". It existed till 1918 as "I.R. Graf Khevenhüller Nr. 7".
Service during the War
Since October 1755, the regiment garrisoned Teschen (present-day Český Těšín/CZ) while two companies were posted at Frýdek/CZ.
At the beginning of 1756, the regiment was garrisoning Troppau (actual Opava) in Moravia. On July 12, it was ordered to prepare itself to move to the camp of FZM Prince Piccolomini at Olschan (present-day Olšany/CZ) while its Obristbattalion was sent to join the garrison of Olmütz. The regiment received two 6-pdr guns. In September, two battalions of the regiment were in Bohemia with Piccolomini's covering force in the Königshof-Kolin region. At the end of September, the Prussian FM Count Schwerin, who was encamped near Aujezd (present-day Újezd/CZ), retired from Bohemia. On November 10, Piccolomini's Army took its winter-quarters along the Bohemian border between Gabel (present-day Jablonné v Podještědí/CZ) and the border of Moravia. The regiment was quartered at Opotschno (present-day Opočno/CZ), its staff and one battalion at Hohenmaut (present-day Vysoké Mýto/CZ). The third battalion was still part of the garrison of Olmütz.
At the end of March 1757, the regiment (2 bns and 2 grenadier coys totalling 1,986 men) was part of Serbelloni's Corps, concentrated around Königgrätz (present-day Hradec Králové/CZ). When the Prussian corps of FM Schwerin marched through Náchod/CZ upon Moravia, G.d.C. Serbelloni concentrated his troop around Königgrätz but could not prevent the junction of Schwerin's Corps and Bevern's Corps who had defeatedFZM Count Königsegg in the Combat of Reichenberg (present-day Liberec/CZ) near Jungbunzlau (present-day Mladá Boleslav/CZ). Serbelloni received orders from Prince Charles de Lorraine to rally with the main Austrian army near Prague, but Serbelloni proceeded very slowly. FM Leopold Daun was then sent to supersede Serbelloni in the command of that corps. The regiment was already at Poděbrady/CZ when Daun's Corps arrived there on May 6, too late to support Charles de Lorraine during the Battle of Prague which took place the same day. FM Daun concentrated a relief army near Tschaslau (present-day Čáslav/CZ). With the arrival of its third battalion from Olmütz, the regiment now counted three battalions (including one company from Kaiser Infantry and one company from Marschall Infantry) for a total of 1,900 men. It was allocated, along with Gaisruck Infantry to the brigade of GFWM Krottendorf which was part of the division of FML Count Starhemberg, deployed in the second line of the the right wing. On June 18, the regiment took part in the Battle of Kolin where it had been redeployed on the road to Břiství (now part of the City of Prague), with Gaisruck Infantry and Haller Infantry behind FML Wied's Division. Colonel Voith distinguished himself in the combat against Hülsen's troops. Captain Mathias Winklhofer, who was responsible for the four 3-pdr regimental guns, also distinguished himself. In this battle, the regiment lost 2 officers and 65 men killed; 11 officers and 411 men wounded; and 201 men missing. On June 25, Colonel Voith von Salzburg was promoted to GFWM (general-major); and Adolph Baron Phull to colonel and regiment commander. After the battle, the regiment was allocated to GM Wolfersdorf's Brigade. On July 1, the entire army crossed the Elbe River and encamped near Lyssa (present-day Lysá nad Labem/CZ). On July 15, one grenadier company and 50 fusiliers of the regiment took part in the attack on Gabel (present-day Jablonné v Podještědí/CZ) by FML Maquire's Corps. On July 19, after the surrender of Gabel, the regiment rejoined the main army and proceeded to a camp near Grottau (present-day Hrádek nad Nisou/CZ). On July 25 and 26, 2 officers and 90 men of the regiment took part in the attack on Zittau. Prince Charles de Lorraine then assumed command of the main Austrian army which he deployed around Eckartsberg near Zittau. The regiment was placed in the second line of the left wing above the Valley of Seifersdorf, between Kaiser Infantry and Botta Infantry. On August 20, after a reconnaissance conducted by Frederick II, the Prussian army retreated through Bernstadt, Bautzen and Dresden to the Saale River to start operations against the Reichsarmee. The regiment was later allocated to FML Duke Ahremberg's Corps which, on October 22, arrived at Schweidnitz. The Obristbataillon was posted to the north of the fortress between Zabersdorf (present-day Zaberdzje/PL) and Zülzendorf (present-day Sulislavice/PL). During the Siege of Schweidnitz, the battalion was used to cover the batteries and to work in the trenches. On November 12, Schweidnitz surrendered. Afterwards, 2 officers and 210 men of the regiment were allocated to the garrison of Schweidnitz and the battalion rejoined the main army. On November 22, the regiment took part in the Battle of Breslau where two of its battalions were deployed in d’Ursel's Brigade, in the first line of the infantry centre under Baron Kheul, while a third battalion was deployed in the first line of the infantry centre of Nádasdy's Corps. D'Ursel's Brigade passed the Lohe River near Gross-Mochbern (present-day Muchobor Vielki/PL). During the attack, the regiment captured the village of Gräbichen (present-day part of Breslau) and a battery of Prussian howitzers planted nearby. On the night of November 22 to 23, the Prussians retreated behind Breslau. In this battle, the regiment lost 2 NCOs and 3 men killed; 5 officers and 72 men wounded; and 4 men missing. On November 24, Breslau surrendered. According to a new order of battle, the regiment was allocated to the division under the command of FML Andlau, deployed in the first line of the right wing. On December 5 at the Battle of Leuthen, two battalions of the regiment were deployed in Andlau's brigade in the first line of the infantry right wing under Kheul. The regiment was redeployed on the Windmühlenberg near the village of Leuthen. The troops posted on that hill formed squares and repulsed several charges. Around 4:30 p.m., the regiment broke through the surrounding Prussian infantry at the point of the bayonet and effected a junction with the remnants of Kaiser Infantry, Alt-Wolfenbüttel Infantry and Botta Infantry. In this disastrous battle, the regiment lost 1 officer, 10 NCOs and 58 men killed; 13 officers, 4 NCOs and 20 men wounded; 9 officers and 47 men taken prisoners; and 435 men missing. The regiment now counted only one grenadier company and two weak battalions. Lieutenant-Colonel Brumsee with 327 men was sent to reinforce the garrison of Schweidnitz. On December 20, Breslau surrendered and its garrison (including 15 officers, 7 NCOs and 224 men) taken prisoners. The Austrian army then marched to Freiburg. FML Buccow with some troops (including the grenadier company and 40 fusiliers of the regiment) occupied Freiburg while the army continued its march towards the Bohemian border, encamping between Liebau (present-day Libawa/PL) and Neustadt an der Mettau (present-day Nové Město nad Metují/CZ). The regiment, attached to Andlau's Division, took its winter-quarters at Nachod/CZ.
In 1758, the regiment was still weak, counting only 8 officers, 59 NCOs and 204 men. Furthermore, 3 officers and 212 men garrisoned Schweidnitz; 2 officers and 22 men were at Olmütz; and 495 men were reported ill. During February and March, the regiment received 330 recruits from Bohemia, 190 from Moravia and 30 from Austria. Furthermore, around 100 men returned from Prussian prison. On January 31, Major Johann Wilhelm von Schröder was promoted to lieutenant-colonel and transferred to the staff of the General-Quartermaster (Generalquartiermeister Stab). From January to March, several prisoners were exchanged. Twelve officers returned to the regiment. In April, a second detachment of the regiment (Lieutenant-Colonel Brumsee, 4 officers and 172 men) was captured by the Prussians at the end of the siege of Schweidnitz when the Austrian garrison surrendered. Baron Brumsée was immediately set free against a ransom and resigned from his charge in the regiment afterwards. The regiment remained with FM Daun's main army. At the end of April, it was at the camp near Skalitz (present-day Skalice/CZ) where it was deployed in the first line of the right wing in the Los Rios Brigade, itself part of FML Wied's Division. On May 3, the main army set off from Skalitz. On May 23, it encamped near Leitomischl (present-day Litomyšl/CZ). From May to July, Frederick II proceeded to the Siege of Olmütz where 250 men of the Obristlieutenantbattalion under the command of Second-Colonel Uttmann formed part of the garrison. This detachment was converged with detachments of Moltke Infantry and Arenberg Infantry into an ad hoc battalion. Meanwhile, on June 15, the regiment was at the camp of Gewitsch (present-day Jevíčko/CZ) and could field two complete battalions with two grenadier companies. On June 21, GFWM Bülow managed to reach Olmütz with a reinforcement of 1,200 men (including 60 men of the regiment). On July 2, after the interception of his convoy in the Combat of Domstadl, Frederick II raised the siege of Olmütz and marched through Bohemia to Saxony. During this siege, the regiment had lost 3 men killed; and 2 officers and 13 men wounded. The Austrian army (including the regiment) then followed the retreating Prussians. By August 2, the regiment was part of the reserve of the main Austrian army under the command of Daun near Jaromirs. Daun was following up the Prussian army retiring through Bohemia after the failure of the Prussian invasion of Moravia. On August 12 at Görlitz, the regiment was informed that the vacant post of lieutenant-colonel had been given to Wilhelm von Schröder, formerly attached to the staff at the headquarters. The regiment took part to all marches of the main army. On October 7, the regiment was posted between Breitendorf and Pietzen; and its grenadiers, on the Stromberg hill near Hochkirch. On October 10, two battalions of the regiment took part in the Battle of Hochkirch where they were deployed in Colloredo's column to the southeast of Lauske. They were then posted at Gross-Tschorna and saw no action. Meanwhile, the grenadiers of the regiment were in the second column of left wing in the Grenadier Brigade of GFWM Siskovics. The grenadiers lost 2 officers and 5 men killed; 2 officers and 24 men wounded; and 8 men missing. After the battle, Daun went to Görlitz and encamped on the Landeskrone Hill until November 4. He then marched upon Dresden but was soon forced to retreat to the region between Pirna and Berg-Giesshübel where he remained until November 20. Daun's Army then marched to its winter-quarters, the regiment being quartered around Königgrätz (present-day Hradec Králové/CZ)
During the winter of 1758-59, the garrison battalion based at Olmütz received 198 recruits from Lower Austria and 65 from Moravia and sent 306 trained men to reinforce the field battalions.
In 1759, the regiment was sent to a new camp between Nachod (present-day Náchod/CZ) and Neustadt (present-day Nové Město/CZ). On June 1, it was reviewed in that camp. It then counted 1,931 men while the garrison battalion at Olmütz had 770 men. On June 28, the regiment marched to Reichenberg (present-day Liberec/CZ) with the second column of the army led by G.d.C. Buccow. This column effected a junction with the first column at Reichenberg where it encamped until July 4. When the artillery finally arrived, the army marched to Marklissa (present-day Lesna/PL) and the regiment was allocated to Los Rios Brigade in the division of FML Angern along with Daun Infantry (Heinrich or Leopold?) and Baden-Durlach Infantry. Its grenadiers were converged in a grenadier battalion of 6 companies, led by Major Count Thurn from Gaisruck Infantry. By mid August 1759, the regiment was part of Daun's corps posted in Silesia. The regiment followed the movements of Daun's Army in Upper Lusatia and Silesia. On September 2, it took part in the combat of Sorau. On November 20, the grenadiers of the regiment participated in the well known “Finckenfang von Maxen” (Battle of Maxen) where the entire corps of Lieutenant-General Finck was forced to surrender. Major Genimi-Molé would later receive the Maria-Theresia-Order for his conduct during this battle. On November 5, Colonel Johann Leopold von Uttmann died at Olmütz. In December, when the Austrian Army took its winter quarters, the regiment was quartered around Töplitz (present-day Teplice/CZ).
On January 6 1760, the two field battalions were reviewed at Karlowitz (present-day Karlovice/CZ); they counted 1,534 men. In February, 325 recruits arrived from Lower Austria, Bohemia and Moravia to reinforce the garrison battalion which now counted 837 men. Some trained men were sent to the field battalions and the grenadier companies were brought up to full strength. In March, the regiment was sent to Dresden. On March 10, it counted 2,204 men. On March 30, Colonel Adolph Baron Phull was promoted to GFWM. On April 12, Johann Wilhelm von Schröder was promoted to colonel and regiment commander; and Sigismund Baron von Königsbrunn, to lieutenant-colonel. On May 1, Major von Meyersfeld took command of the garrison battalion at Olmütz. In July, FM Daun advanced to force Frederick II to raise the Siege of Dresden. On the night of 22 July, FML Angern at the head of 9 bns (including the Obristbattailon of the regiment ), 10 grenadier coys and 5 sqns attacked the Prussian siege batteries and destroyed many of the guns. In this action, the Obristbattailon lost 11 men killed and 14 wounded. On September 12, the grenadiers, attached to Normann's Grenadier Brigade, participated in the combat of Freiburg near Hohenfriedberg where they lost 18 men killed and 1 NCO and 39 men wounded. On November 3, the entire regiment took part in the Battle of Torgau where it was brigaded with Kaiser Infantry and Gaisruck Infantry under GFWM Count Harteneck in the division of FML Angeren. In the afternoon, this brigade was attacked in flank by 10 sqns of Bayreuth Dragoons and 5 sqns of Schmettau Cuirassiers. All three regiments were battered and routed, several men being taken prisoners. In this sanguinary battle, the regiment lost 3 officers and 22 men killed; 11 officers and 197 men wounded; and 19 officers and 522 men taken prisoners (including Colonel Johann Wilhelm von Schröder, Lieutenant-Colonel Sigismund Baron Königsbrunn and Major Rudolph Fellner von Fellenstein); the grenadiers for their part lost 10 men wounded and 12 taken prisoners. The defeated Austrian army encamped at Freiburg and Wilsdruff until November 23. After its heavy losses, the regiment could field only one weak battalion which was allocated to Maquire's Corps and marched to Töplitz. The garrison battalion stationed at Olmütz sent 500 fresh men to reinforce the regiment which was able to form two field battalions. After the capture of Glatz (present-day Klodsko/PL), the garrison battalion under Major von Meyersfeld was transferred to that fortress. However, Olmütz remained the official depot of the regiment and Captain Rupprecht remained there to train new recruits.
On January1 1761, Major Meyersfeld took command of the regiment. At the beginning of March, it joined the main army near Dresden and the third battalion left Glatz and returned to Olmütz. In July, the two field battalions and the grenadiers were still at the camp of Plauen near Dresden and saw no action. From December 1, the army began to take its winter-quarters, the regiment being quartered at Heckendorf. On December 1, the Hofkriegsrat promulgated that all garrison battalions should now consist of 4 companies of 136 men each. By December 23, all officers (tot he exception of Colonel von Schröder) and men, who had been taken prisoners at Torgau the previous year, had returned to Olmütz. Among the new recruits who arrived at Olmütz during that year, there were 92 Prussian prisoners, mainly Silesians, who wanted to serve in the regiment. A number of trained recruits were sent to the field battalions.
On January 25 1762, the regiment marched to Höckendorf where it remained until May. It was then sent to the camp of Kratzau (present-day Chrastava/CZ) and from there to Silesia where it joined FZM Loudon's Army, being allocated to GFWM Murray's Brigade in the division of FML Unruh, deployed on the right wing of the second line with Waldeck Infantry and Gaisruck Infantry. The grenadiers were converged in a battalion and allocated to the brigade of GFWM Pellegrini. On June 9, two fusilier companies of the regiment were sent to support the garrison of Schweidnitz. Meanwhile, the regiment was with the main army who took position at Kunzendorf behind Schweidnitz. FM Daun then retreated in a new camp between Dittmansdorf (present-day Dziecmorowice/PL) and Burkersdorf (present-day Burkatow/PL). When the Russians quitted the coalition, FM Daun marched to the County of Glatz (present-day Klodsko/PL) and the regiment came to Dittersbach (?). From August to October, Frederick II proceeded to the Siege of Schweidnitz which was defended by FML Guasco. During the siege, Captain Gottfried (Johann) von Schröder (brother of Colonel Johann Wilhelm von Schröder) along with Captain Johann Count Ruttant from de Ligne Infantry and Jacob Mac-Brady from Sincère Infantry defended the Flèche of the Jauernik fort which was the object of the most violent Prussian attacks. The losses in this outwork were very high, the defenders (110 men) were changed every day, only the aforementioned officers remained there permanently. Despite the crossfire of the Prussian batteries and several attacks of infantry, Captain Schröder and his friends held the entrenchment until the end of the siege. On October 8, a Prussian shot hit the powder magazine of the Jauerniker Fort which was blown up. On October 9, Schweidnitz capitulated and its garrison (including 5 officers, 9 NCOs and 215 men of the regiment) was taken prisoners, the officers were imprisoned at Königsberg (present-day Kaliningrad/Russia). During the siege, the detachment of the regiment lost 25 men killed and 37 wounded. On October 21, Captain Gottfried von Schröder received the Knight Cross of the Maria-Theresia-Order for his conduct during the siege. The regiment took its winter-quarters in Werkelsdorf, Berzicht and Wernersdorf.
In 1763, after the signature of the Treaty of Hubertusburg, the regiment was reviewed and marched to its new garrison places at Leipnik (present-day Lipník/CZ) and Kremsier (present-day Kroměříž/CZ). The third battalion and the grenadiers remained in these places for the next 53 years. On April 1, Colonel Johann Wilhelm von Schröder and 157 men returned from Prussian prisons. Similarly, all officers and men captured at Schweidnitz returned.
|Neck stock||one red and one black (for parades the regimental commanders agreed before on the colour of the neck stocks)|
|Coat||white with 3 yellow buttons under the right lapel and 1 yellow button in the small of the back on each side
|Waistcoat||white with 2 rows of 9 yellow buttons (3-3-3) and with horizontal pockets (each with 3 yellow buttons)|
|Gaiters||one pair of black (for winter) and one pair of white gaiters (for summer and parade)|
Troopers were armed with a musket (Model 1745 for fusiliers, Model 1754 for grenadiers). Grenadiers carried a sabre while fusiliers carried only a bayonet.
Both Richard Knötel and Herbert Knötel d.J. illustrate white metal buttons.
The officers wore the same uniform with the following exceptions:
- tricorne laced gold with a white and green cockade
- black neck stock
- no shoulder strap
- yellow and black silk sash
Senior officers carried sticks identifying their rank:
- lieutenant: bamboo stick without knob
- captain: long rush stick with a bone knob
- major: long rush stick with a silver knob and a small silver chain
- lieutenant-colonel: long rush stick with a larger silver knob without chain
- colonel: long rush stick with a golden knob
Sergeants carried a halberd and a wooden stick.
Corporals carried a halberd.
As per a regulation of 1755, musicians were now distinguished from troopers only by swallow nests on the shoulders.
The drum had a brass barrel decorated with black flames at the bottom and with a black double headed Eagle on a yellow field. Rims were decorated with red and white diagonal stripes. The bandolier was white.
All German infantry regiments carried identical colours: a white Leibfahne (colonel) and yellow Regimentsfahne. The hand painted colours were made of silk and measured Size 178 cm x 127 cm. The 260 cm long flagpoles had golden finial and were decorated with black and yellow spirals of cloth.
The colonel colour was carried by the first battalion.
Colonel flag (Leibfahne):
- field: white
- border: alternating white and yellow outer waved triangles pointing inwards, red and black inner waved triangles pointing outwards
- obverse (right): the Immaculate Mother of God (which had been declared the patroness of the army by kaiser Ferdinand III) on a cloud, crushing a snake under her foot and surrounded by rays
- reverse (left): crowned and armed Imperial double-eagle with the "Lothringen-Toscanian" arms on a shield and the initials of the Emperor CF (Corregens Franciscus) on the left wing and IM (Imperator Magnus) on the right
Regimental flags (Regimentsfahne):
- field: yellow
- border: alternating white and yellow outer waved triangles pointing inwards, red and black inner waved triangles pointing outwards
- obverse (right): crowned and armed Imperial double-eagle with the "Lothringen-Toscanian" arms on a shield and the initials of the Emperor CF (Corregens Franciscus) on the left wing and IM (Imperator Magnus) on the right
- reverse (left): unarmed and crowned Imperial double-eagle with the arms of Hungaria and Bohemia on a shield and the initials M on the left wing and T on the right
In fact, the situation on the field was slightly more complex than this, since colours were usually replaced only when worn out. It is fairly possible that some regiment who had been issued colours of the 1743 pattern were still carrying them at the beginning of the Seven Years' War. For more details, see Austrian Line Infantry Colours.
Accurate Vorstellung der sämtlichen KAYSERLICH KOENIGLICHEN ARMEEN zur eigentlichen Kentnis der UNIFORM von jedem Regimente. Nebst beygefügter Geschichte, worinne von der Stiftung, denen Chefs, der Staercke, und den wichtigsten Thaten jedes Regiments Nachricht gegeben wird., Nürnberg auf Kosten der Raspischen Buchhandlung. Ao. 1762
Bilderhandschrift Delacre: Militair Etat der Ganzen Kayl., Königl. Armee Wienn 1757
Bleckwenn, Hans; Die Regimenter der Kaiserin, Gedanken zur "Albertina Handschrift" 1762 des Heeresgeschichtlichen Museums Wien, Köln: 1967
Dihm, Dr. Hermann; Oesterreichische Standarten und Fahnen zur Zeit des 7 jährigen Krieges, Die Zinnfigur, Klio
Donath, Rudolf; Die Kaiserliche und Kaiserlich-Königliche Österreichische Armee 1618-1918, 2. Aufl., Simbach/Inn 1979
Duffy, Christopher; "By Force of Arms." Volume II of The Austrian Army in the Seven Years War. Emperor's Press, Chicago 2008
Etat nouveau des Troupes de sa Majesté Impériale Royale comme elles se trouvent effectivement l'an 1759
Etat général des Troupes qui servent sa Majesté Impériale et Royale Apostolique sur pié en 1760
Funcken, Liliane and Fred; Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
Hausmann, Friedrich, Die Feldzeichen der Truppen Maria Theresias, Schriften des Heeresgeschichtlichen Museums, vol. 3, Vienna: 1967
Kessel, Eberhard; Das Ende des Siebenjährigen Krieges 1760-1763, comissioned by the (German Army) Research Departement of Military History [Militärgeschichtliches Forschungsamt – MGFA], edited by Thomas Lindner, Paderborn 2007 – the recent reedit of the missing volumes of the early 20th c. Großer Generalstab publications above
Knötel, Herbert d.J.; Brauer, Hans M.: Heer und Tradition / Heeres-Uniformbogen (so-called „Brauer-Bogen"), Berlin 1926-1962, Österreich-Ungarn – 1756-63
Kornauth, Friedrich, Das Heer Maria Theresias: Faksimile-Ausgabe der Albertina-Handschrift, "Dessins des Uniformes des Troupes I.I. et R.R. de l'année 1762", Wien: 1973
Muhsfeldt, Th.; Abzeichenfarben der K. und K. Regimenter zu Fuss im Jahre 1757 und früher, in Mitteilungen zur Geschichte des militärischen Tracht, No. 12, 1904
Schirmer, Friedrich, Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, hrsg. von der KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, überarb. u. aktual. Neuauflage 1989
Seidel, Paul; Nochmals österreichische Standarten und Fahnen zur Zeit des 7 jährigen Krieges, Die Zinnfigur, Clio
Seyfart, Kurzgefaßte Geschichte aller kaiserlich-königlichen Regimenter zu Pferde und zu Fuß, Frankfurth and Leipzig, 1762, pp. 20-21
Thümmler, L.-H., Die Österreichiches Armee im Siebenjährigen Krieg: Die Bautzener Bilderhandschrift aus dem Jahre 1762, Berlin 1993
Treuenfest, Amon von: Geschichte des kaiserl. und königl. Kärnthnerischen Infanterie-Regiments Feldmarschall
Wrede, Alphons Freiherr von; Geschichte der K. und K. Wehrmacht. Die Regimenter, Corps, Branchen und Anstalten von 1618 bis Ende des XIX. Jahrhunderts, Vol. 1, 124, Vienna, 1898-1905
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.
Harald Skala and Michael Zahn for gathering most of the information about this regiment
Franco Saudelli and Dr. Marco Pagan for the wonderful plates they have designed together