Neumark Land-Battalion III

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Prussian Army >> Neumark Land-Battalion III

Origin and History

In June or July of 1757 the Chamber President of Neumark, von Rothenburg, personally requested Berlin for permission to recruit a militia force for the defence of the province. On August 10 1757 permission was granted to raise the units, which were to come under supervision of Department 6 of the General Directory.

The present battalion was established in August 1757 by Major von Arnim (from IR Bevern) in Küstrin. The unit assembled for service at Arenswalde, from men recruited in Schivelbein, Dramburg, Arnswalde and Friedeberg districts and comprised four companies.

During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:

  • since August 1757: Major von Arnim
  • from March 15 1761: Major J. F. von Bornstedt

The battalion was disbanded after the Seven Years' War.

Service during the War

In 1758, the battalion was in garrison in Küstrin when the Russians invested the city in August. During the bombardment of the city, the unit was first forced to shelter in the town casemates, losing half its effective strength to sickness before being relieved by Battalion von Heiderstädt.

On July 31 1759, the battalion was involved in an action against a 10,000-man Russian corps at Frankfurt an der Oder, after the Battle of Paltzig. The approach of a further body of Russian irregulars caused the battalion to break and to flee across the Oder.

In the winter 1759/60, the battalion was brought back to a strength of 250, including prisoners exchanged by the Russians, among them von Arnim himself. Only when Bevern turned his full attention to governing the Neumark, was the battalion brought back to full strength.

On March 15 1761, after von Arnim’s death, Major J. F. von Bornstedt (from DR Czettritz) took command.

Till the end of the war, the battalion was stationed in Frankfurt, with a detachment in Krossen.

Uniform

Uniform from 1757 to 1759

Privates

Uniform in 1757 - Source: Dal Gavan
Uniform Details as per Bleckwenn
Headgear Personnel had to supply their own hats. It is expected that dark brown, dark grey and black felt tricorns predominated.
Neck stock no information found
Coat pale Grey, single breasted coat with six cloth-covered buttons
Collar blue
Shoulder Straps n/a
Lapels none
Pockets none
Cuffs blue
Turnbacks none
Waistcoat Personnel supplied their own waistcoat, where they could
Breeches Personnel supplied their own breeches. These would most likely be light coloured browns and greys.
Gaiters Personnel who could afford to purchase their own gaiters would have used those. Personnel who could not would only wear hose.
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt one belt over the left shoulder for the cartridge box
Waistbelt n/a
Cartridge Box black
Bayonet Scabbard n/a
Scabbard n/a
Footgear Personnel supplied their own footwear.


NCOs

no information found

Officers

no information found

Musicians

no information found

Uniform from 1759

Privates

Uniform in 1759 - Source: Dal Gavan
Uniform Details as per Bleckwenn
Headgear unlaced, black felt tricorne with coloured pompoms and corner bobs. Single pewter button on left front.
Neck stock n/a
Coat Prussian blue with 3 white metal buttons on the coat breast and 1 white button on each side to fasten the skirts forming the turnbacks.
Collar none
Shoulder Straps n/a
Lapels none
Pockets horizontal pockets piped red, each with 2 white buttons
Cuffs white (in the Swedish pattern), each with 2 white buttons
Turnbacks red fastened with a white button
Waistcoat white with white buttons
Breeches white
Gaiters black (if supplied)
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt one belt over the left shoulder for the cartridge box (and maybe one narrower belt over the right shoulder for the haversack). Colour believed to be white, but may have been buff or natural leather.
Waistbelt n/a
Cartridge Box black
Bayonet Scabbard n/a
Scabbard n/a
Footgear black shoes


NCOs

NCOs wore uniforms similar to those of the privates with the following distinctions:

  • tricorne with a broad band of silver lace
  • lapels edged with a broad band of silver lace

Officers

Officers wore the same uniforms as the men, but their hats were laced in silver, with silver pompoms and side-bobs. Their buttons were silver.

Musicians

no information found

Colours

Colours were not carried by militia units.

References

Bleckwenn, Hans: Die friderzianischen Uniformen 1753-1786, Osnabrück 1984

Cremer, Peter: Die Preussischen Landregimenter & - milizen, die Stettiner Haff-Flotille und das Verpflegungswesen der Armee 1756-1763, KLIO-Arbeitsgruppe 7jähriger Krieg, Friderzianische Epoche, Manuskript, o.J.

Grosser Generalstab Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II, Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Part 3 Der siebenjährige Krieg 1756-1763, Vol. 1 Pirna und Lobositz, Berlin, 1901, Appendix 1

Acknowledgments

Dal Gavan and TheBaron for the initial version of this article