Origin and History
The regiment was created on September 7 1684 and took the name of the province of Périgord. Indeed, expecting a Coalition to soon form against France, Louis XIV raised 30 new regiments from September 1 to 30 for the defence of the various places of the realm. By raising one regiment a day, he avoided any problem of precedence among these new regiments.
During the War of the Polish Succession, the regiment was sent to Danzig (actual Gdańsk). It was stationed in Cherbourg at its return from Russia.
During the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment was initially stationed at Dunkelfingen in 1742, then at Deckendorf in 1743. From 1744 to 1748, it served in Italy.
The regiment counted only one battalion.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment ranked 76th and was under the command of:
- since January 1 1748: marquis de Molac
- from December 1 1762 to May 11 1769: marquis d'Esparbes
Service during the War
In 1756, the regiment was at the camp of Calais.
In 1757, the regiment joined the Lower Rhine Army. On May 5, the regiment was assigned to the blockade of Gueldre. At the end of the year, it took its winter quarters in the first line in the area of Bassum and Hoxter.
In April 1758, when Clermont redeployed his army along the Rhine, the regiment was stationed at Griethausen near Kleve. After the successful crossing of the Rhine by Ferdinand's army on May 31, the regiment retired towards Rheinberg where it joined Clermont's army on June 2. It remained in this camp until June 12 where it was placed in the centre of the first line. On August 5, the regiment formed part of Chevert's corps and took part to the combat of Mehr where it was brigaded with Brancas Infanterie and distinguished itself, its brigade being the last one to retire from the battlefield.
In 1762, the regiment was stationed in Brest.
Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet. Fusiliers carried a sword (brass hilt) while the grenadiers had a sabre.
The colonel flag was white with a white cross. Ordonnance flags had a white cross, their cantons were all yellow in the middle with the rest of each canton red, yellow, green and red by opposition. Ordonnance flags remained unchanged from 1684 to 1775.
Funcken, Liliane and Fred, Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
Menguy, Patrice; Les Sujets du Bien Aimé
Mouillard, Lucien, Les Régiments sous Louis XV, Paris: 1882
Pajol, Charles P. V., Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VII, Paris, 1891
Rogge, Christian; The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Service historique de l'armée de terre - Archives du génie, article 15, section 1, §5, pièce 23.