Origin and History
The ship was built by William Martin and Henniker at the Chatham dockyard and launched on June 22 1758.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- in January 1759: captain Molyneux Shuldham
- in 1760: captain Philip Affleck
- in 1762: captain Hyde Parker
The ship became a hospital ship in 1791 and was broken up in November 1813.
Service during the War
In 1758, the ship was part of commodore Moore's squadron stationed in the West Indies.
At the beginning of January 1759, the ship was among the fleet assembled at Carlisle Bay in Barbados under commodore John Moore for the planned expedition against the Martinique and Guadeloupe islands. On January 13, the whole British force sailed for Martinique Island. On January 15, the fleet lay off the bay of Fort Royal (actual Fort de France). On January 18, after an unsuccessful attempt of the land troops to capture Fort Royal, the British fleet proceeded to Saint-Pierre, the second town in Martinique. On January 19, the attack of the coastal batteries failed and commodore Moore decided to redirect his efforts against the island of Guadeloupe. On January 22, the British fleet reached Basse-Terre. On January 23, the ship was sent with the Burford (70) against a 12 guns battery while other vessels bombarded the citadel and town of Basse-Terre which were almost entirely destroyed. On January 24, British troops landed and occupied the town. On February 6, the ship was part of captain Harman's squadron which was detached to attack Fort Louis on the Grande-Terre. On February 13, this squadron cannonaded Fort Louis for 6 hours before landing a large detachment of marines and Highlanders who stormed the fort. In mid March, Moore fell back to Prince Rupert's Bay in the Island of Dominica with his fleet, in order to cover Basse-Terre and the British Leeward Islands from the threat of the newly arrived French squadron. The island of Guadeloupe finally capitulated on May 1.
On January 6 1760, the ship along with the Norfolk (74) sailed from Spithead for the East Indies.
On January 1 1761, the ship was hit by a hurricane while taking part in the siege of Pondicherry. She was dismasted. On January 4, the blockade resumed and Pondicherry surrendered on January 16.
On August 1 1762, the ship was part of rear admiral Cornish squadron which undertook the expedition against Manila. On October 4, she was detached to search a Spanish galleon expected at Manila. On October 31, she engaged and captured the Santissima Trinidad (60) who at that moment was armed only with 6 guns but loaded with treasures.
To do: more details on the campaigns from 1760 to 1762
|Length at gundeck||154 ft (47 m)|
|Width||43 ft 6 in (13.3 m)|
|Depth||18 ft 4 in (5.6 m)|
|Displacement||1248 tons (1268 tonnes)|
Blasco, Manuel, British 4th Rates, 3 Decks Wiki
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.