Partido do Porto Horse
Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Portuguese Army >> Partido do Porto Horse
Origin and History
In Portugal on the eve of the Seven Years War, the term “Auxiliary Infantry” designated militia units. In 1762, at the beginning of military operations, the northern provinces and the province of Alentejo were requested to raise a few auxiliary companies or regiments of horse and foot.
The horse unit raised in the Partido do Porto counted 3 companies.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- in 1762: no information found yet
The unit was disbanded at the end of the conflict.
Service during the War
No information available yet about the service of the regiment during the Seven Years' War
|Headgear||black tricorne laced yellow with a blue and white cockade|
|Coat||medium blue lined light white with yellow buttons
|Waistcoat||white with 1 row of yellow buttons|
Officers wore uniforms similar to those of the privates with the following differences:
- white collar edged gold
- white waistcoat edged gold with 2 rows of yellow buttons
- officer stick of natural wood with a silver handle with a silver cord and tassel
no information available yet
The exact pattern of the Portuguese colonel colours during the Seven Years' War is unknown (Kirby's article illustrates a simple white standard with the crowned arms of Portugal as centre device, but we do not know the exact date of this illustration).
The ordonnance colours were chosen by the colonel of the regiment. For the moment, we have found no source depicting specific colours for this regiment.
Ribeiro Rodrigues, Manuel A.; 300 Anos de Uniformes Militares do Exército de Portugal 1660-1960, Exército Portugués and Sociedade Historica da Independéncia de Portugal, 1998
Manuel Ribeiro Rodrigues and Joseph O'Neill for the information and counseling provided for this article.