Pomeranian Converged Frei-Grenadier-Corps von Wussow
Origin and History
In June 1758, two companies of grenadiers were raised in Stettin among the eight existing Pomeranian Land Militia battalions. Each of these companies consisted of:
- 4 officers
- 6 NCOs
- 3 drummers
- 144 grenadiers
- 1 surgeon
- 1 gunner
- 2 artillerymen
- 1 light gun
In April 1762, after the ceasefires with Russia and Sweden, these two companies of grenadiers were sent to Silesia where, on June 17 they were combined with the four companies of grenadiers of Freikorps von Schony to form the Freigrenadier-Bataillon Hüllesem.
During the Seven Years' War, this newly formed battalion was under the command of:
- since June 1758: Captain J. W. von Wussow
- from April 1759: Captain C. C. von Hüllesem (promoted to major on June 17 1762)
After the Seven Years' War, the battalion was disbanded, the foreigners serving in the two Pomeranian companies were incorporated into Garrison Regiment III.
Service during the War
On September 4 1761, the two companies of the unit successfully defended the Castle and bridge of Klempenow and drove back the attacking Swedes. However, they suffered heavy casualties, losing about 50% of their men.
|Coat||Prussian blue lined red, 1 brass buttons on each side in the small of the back
Privates were armed with a short musket and a bayonet.
NCOs wore uniforms similar to those of the privates with the following distinctions:
- mitre cap with a black and white quartered pompom
- gold laced cuffs
Officers had tricorne wearing a scallopped golden lace and a black cockade. Gilt buttons.
Drummers wore uniforms similar to those of the privates with a white swallow nest on each shoulder
Militia units did not carry any colour.
Cremer, Peter: Die preussischen Landregimenter & -milizen, die Stettiner Haff-Flotille und das Verpflegungswesen der Armee 1756-1753, KLIO-Arbeitgruppe, Heimbach, 1987
Grosser Generalstab Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II, Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Part 3 Der siebenjährige Krieg 1756-1763, Vol. 1 Pirna und Lobositz, Berlin, 1901, Appendix 1