Pomeranian Enrolled Recruit Battalion von Stosch

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Prussian Army >> Pomeranian Enrolled Recruit Battalion von Stosch

Origin and History

The battalion was raised in Stettin in September 1757 from recruits from Saxony, Prussian Pomerania and Uckermark as well as from NCOs and officers of the disbanded Saxon regiments Manstein Fusiliers and Flemming Fusiliers. It consisted of 4 musketeer companies and 1 grenadier company.

In 1759, the battalion was renamed 3./Stettinsches Rekruten Bataillon.

During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:

  • since September 1757: Major J. Ferdinand Baron von Stoch

On May 29 1762, the battalion was disbanded and its troops incorporated into various Prussian infantry regiments.

Service during the War

no information found yet

Uniform

This battalion of recruit adopted the uniform of a former Saxon regiment which had been forcibly incorporated into the Prussian Army as the Flemming Fusiliers.

Privates

Uniform in 1756 - Source: Dal
Uniform Details
Headgear
Fusilier black tricorne laced white with grey pompoms and a small white button
Grenadier not available yet
Neckstock black
Coat Prussian blue lined red, 6 white buttons grouped 2 by 2 on the chest and 3 white buttons on each side to fasten the skirts forming the turnbacks
Collar none
Shoulder Straps n/a
Lapels none
Pockets horizontal pockets edged in red, each with 3 white buttons
Cuffs white (in the Swedish pattern) with 2 white buttons
Turnbacks red, each fastened with a small white button
Waistcoat white
Breeches white
Gaiters black
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt white
Waistbelt white
Cartridge Box black
Bayonet Scabbard brown
Scabbard brown
Footgear black shoes


Privates were armed with a short musket, a bayonet and a sabre with a curved blade.

NCOs

NCOs wore uniforms similar to those of the privates with the following distinctions:

  • no shoulder straps
  • silver laced cuffs
  • yellowish leather gloves
  • black and white sabre tassel

NCOs were armed with a sabre and a half-pikes measuring 7 ½ Rhenish feet (2.37 m.) in the fusilier companies and 13 Rhenish feet (4.10 m.) in the grenadier companies (carried by the 3 most senior NCOs while other grenadier NCOs were armed with rifled muskets since 1744).

NCOs also carried canes (normally attached to a button at the top of the right front while carrying the half-pike).

Officers

n/a

Officers carried spontoons measuring 7 ½ Rhenish feet (2.36 m.).

Musicians

n/a

Colours

Colours were not carried by militia units.

References

Cremer, Peter: Die preussischen Landregimenter & -milizen, die Stettiner Haff-Flotille und das Verpflegungswesen der Armee 1756-1753, KLIO-Arbeitgruppe, Heimbach, 1987

Grosser Generalstab Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II, Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Part 3 Der siebenjährige Krieg 1756-1763, Vol. 1 Pirna und Lobositz, Berlin, 1901, Appendix 1