Pomeranian Land Militia Battalion Nr. 3
Origin and History
On July 13 1757, a Cabinet Ordre" created the Militia of Pomerania and Uckermark. The present battalion, initially known as the Land-Bataillon Alt-Wedel, was raised in Stettin in August 1757. It originally consisted of 5 companies of musketeers (no grenadier), each company consisting of:
- 1 captain
- 1 lieutenant
- 1 ensign
- 6 NCOs
- 1 or 2 drummers
- 100 privates
At the end of 1757, the companies of the Pomeranian militia battalions were reduced to 96 men.
In May 1758, the battalion was disbanded, its troops being incorporated into other Pomeranian Land Militia battalions to bring them to full strength.
During the Seven Years' War, the battalion was under the command of:
- since August 1757 to May 1758: von Wedel (Alt-Wedel)
Service during the War
no information found yet
|Coat||dark blue unlined smock with 4 yellow buttons (arranged 1-2-1) on each side on the chest
Privates were armed with a short musket and a bayonet.
NCOs wore uniforms similar to those of the privates with the following distinctions:
- tricorne laced white with black and white quartered pompoms
Officers had tricorne wearing a thin golden lace.
Drummers probably wore uniforms similar to those of the privates but with a swallow nest on each shoulder.
Colours were not carried by militia units.
Cremer, Peter: Die preussischen Landregimenter & -milizen, die Stettiner Haff-Flotille und das Verpflegungswesen der Armee 1756-1753, KLIO-Arbeitgruppe, Heimbach, 1987
Grosser Generalstab Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II, Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Part 3 Der siebenjährige Krieg 1756-1763
- Vol. 1 Pirna und Lobositz, Berlin, 1901, Appendix 1
- Vol. 6 Leuthen, Berlin, 1904, Appendix 6