Pomeranian Mixed Recruit Battalion von Tettau
Origin and History
The battalion was raised in Stettin in September 1757 from recruits from Prussian Pomerania and Uckermark as well as from NCOs and officers of the disbanded Saxon regiments Manstein Fusiliers and Flemming Fusiliers. It was initially known as the Melirtes Rekruten-Bataillon Tettau. It consisted of 4 musketeer companies and 1 grenadier company.
In the winter of 1758-1759, the grenadier company of the battalion was ceded to the newly formed Pomeranian Grenadier Battalion Ingersleben. Therefore, a fifth musketeer company was raised to replace this grenadier company.
In 1759, the battalion was renamed 2./Stettinsches Rekruten Bataillon. In the autumn, a grenadier company was reintroduced, bringing the total strength of the battalion to 6 companies.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- since September 1757: Lieutenant-Colonel Otto Friedrich von Tettau
On May 29 1762, the battalion was disbanded and its troops incorporated into various Prussian infantry regiments.
Service during the War
no information found yet
This battalion of recruit adopted the uniform of a former Saxon regiment which had been forcibly incorporated into the Prussian Army as the Manstein Fusiliers.
|Coat||Prussian blue lined red, 6 white buttons grouped 2 by 2 on the chest and 3 white buttons on each side to fasten the skirts forming the turnbacks
Privates were armed with a short musket, a bayonet and a sabre with a curved blade.
NCOs wore uniforms similar to those of the privates with the following distinctions:
- no shoulder straps
- silver laced cuffs
- yellowish leather gloves
- black and white sabre tassel
NCOs were armed with a sabre and a half-pikes measuring 7 ½ Rhenish feet (2.37 m.) in the fusilier companies and 13 Rhenish feet (4.10 m.) in the grenadier companies (carried by the 3 most senior NCOs while other grenadier NCOs were armed with rifled muskets since 1744).
NCOs also carried canes (normally attached to a button at the top of the right front while carrying the half-pike).
Officers carried spontoons measuring 7 ½ Rhenish feet (2.36 m.).
no information found yet
Militia units did not carry any colour.
Cremer, Peter: Die preussischen Landregimenter & -milizen, die Stettiner Haff-Flotille und das Verpflegungswesen der Armee 1756-1753, KLIO-Arbeitgruppe, Heimbach, 1987
Grosser Generalstab Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II, Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Part 3 Der siebenjährige Krieg 1756-1763, Vol. 1 Pirna und Lobositz, Berlin, 1901, Appendix 1
Yushkevich, A. E.: Prusskiye grenaderskiye i fuzilernyye shapki iz Oraniyenbaumskogo sobraniya Petra III, Part 2: Shapki iz sobraniy muzeyev Rossii / Staryy Tseykhgauz. No 81-82 (No 5/2018-1/2019), pp. 44-46