Pomeranian Provincial Hussars von Hohendorff
Origin and History
In September 1757, a first squadron of Pomeranian Provincial Hussars was raised in Stettin under the name of Land-Husaren-Escadron Hohendorff. It consisted of:
- 4 officers
- 8 NCOs
- 1 trumpeter
- 100 hussars
- 1 smith
- 1 Bereiter
In October of the same year (or in September 1758 as per Cremer), a second squadron was raised and the unit became known as the Land-Husaren-Korps von Hohendorff. Each squadron then counted 120 troopers.
In April 1762, after the ceasefire with Russia and Sweden, the two Pomeranian Provincial Hussars squadrons were combined with the Neumark Kammer Hussars and the Kurmark Provincial Hussars to form the Provinzial-Husaren-Bataillon Hohendorff totalling 4 squadrons.
During the Seven Years' War, the unit was under the command of:
- since September 1757: Captain G. A. von Hohendorff
- from October 1758: Lieutenant-Colonel W. C. H. von Natzmer
- from ????: Major O. G. von Stülpnagel
- from 1761: Major G. A. von Hohendorff
At the end of the Seven Years' War, the battalion was disbanded. The foreigners serving in the two Pomeranian squadrons were incorporated into the Pomeiske Dragoons.
Service during the War
On August 22 1761, the Pomeranian Provincial Hussars took part in an engagement with a Swedish detachment near Neubrandenburg, capturing a standard of the Västgöta Horse.
In the Spring of 1762, the newly formed Provinzial-Husaren-Bataillon Hohendorff marched towards Neisse in Silesia.
|Headgear||a black felt mirliton with a black wing and with white cords, knots and tassels|
|Pelisse||dark blue with seams piped with white thread and terminated with "Hungarian knots"
|Dolman||dark blue with 12 rows of white cords with white metal buttons
|Trousers||buff with dark blue Schalavary (overtrousers) probably edged white|
|Barrel Sash||yellow and white as per Bleckwenn|
Troopers were armed with a musket. They also had a white great mantle and a white mantle sack
Officers had silver cords and lace to both the pelisse and dolman.
NCOs wore uniforms similar to those of the troopers with the following distinctions:
- silver lace on cuffs of both dolman and pelisse
- black and white cords on mirliton and uniform
no information found yet
Guidons were not carried by militia units.
Cremer, Peter: Die preussischen Landregimenter & -milizen, die Stettiner Haff-Flotille und das Verpflegungswesen der Armee 1756-1753, KLIO-Arbeitgruppe, Heimbach, 1987
Grosser Generalstab Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II, Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Part 3 Der siebenjährige Krieg 1756-1763, Vol. 1 Pirna und Lobositz, Berlin, 1901, Appendix 1