Pomeranian Recruit Battalion Bevern
Origin and History
In August 1758, the Duke of Bevern established a replacement company in Stettin for his own infantry regiment (Braunschweig-Bevern Infantry). In April 1760, a second company was raised. In the Autumn of the same year, these initial companies were expanded to a full battalion (5 musketeer companies, 1 grenadier company) known as the Bevernsches Rekruten-Bataillon.
In 1759, the battalion was renamed 1./Stettinsches Rekruten Bataillon.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- since August 1758: Major E. W. von Schöning
- from 1759: Major E. J. von Paulsdorff
After the Seven Years' War, the battalion was disbanded and its troops incorporated into Braunschweig-Bevern Infantry.
Service during the War
no information found yet
This battalion of recruit adopted the uniform of a Braunschweig-Bevern Infantry and was somehow identified as the third battalion of this regiment.
|Coat||blue lined red with 3 pewter buttons on each side to fasten the skirts forming the turnbacks
|Waistcoat||straw with 2 horizontal pockets|
|Gaiters||white during summer, black during winter|
Privates were armed with a musket, a bayonet and a sabre with a curved blade.
The manuscript Uniformes Prussien et Saxonne, 1756/57 and Schultz both illustrate red neck stocks, but Hohrath identifies this as an error.
Several sources (Wellner 1757, Jahnisch 1760, Schroeder 1765, Horvath 1789) also depict white breeches and waistcoats.
The Koenigl. Preuss. Generalstab 1780 and Fehr 1786 seem to show no collar, in fact the lapels and collar were arranged differently, giving the impression that the uniform had no collar.
From the contemporary sources only the Darmstaedter Grenadierbilder 1745/56 and Horvath confirm the shoulder strap. This shoulder strap is also described by XIXthth century sources (Bleckwenn, Boltze and Brauer). It seems that they followed Menzel who had copied an original coat from 1786 from the Zeughaussammlung.
Most sources show a pink pompom or none. Only (the often unreliable) Schmalen 1759, 1760, 1762, 1770 and Wellner 1764 show a white-pink pompom!
NCOs wore uniforms similar to those of the privates with the following distinctions:
- tricorne edged with a thin silver braid and black and white quartered pompoms
- silver edging on the cuffs
- no shoulder strap
- yellowish leather gloves
- black and white sabre tassel
- silver buttons
NCOs were armed with a sabre and a brown (maybe black) half-pike measuring 10 Rhenish feet (3.06 m.) in the musketeer companies and 13 Rhenish feet (4.10 m.) in the grenadier companies (carried by the 3 most senior NCOs while other grenadier NCOs were armed with rifled muskets since 1744).
NCOs also carried canes (normally attached to a button at the top of the right front while carrying the half-pike).
The uniforms of the officers were very similar to those of the privates with the following exceptions:
- black tricorne laced silver with a black cockade fastened with a silver strap and a silver button. (officers always wore tricornes notwithstanding if they were commanding musketeers, fusiliers or grenadiers)
- black stock (as the privates)
- no shoulder strap on the coat
- no turnbacks on the coat
- black and silver sash around the waist
- silver buttons
Officers carried brown (maybe black) spontoons measuring 7 ½ Rhenish feet (2.36 m.) and an officer stick.
The uniforms of the drummers were similar to those of the privates but had much more elaborate lacing and other peculiarities:
- no shoulder strap
- pink swallow nests with 5 white vertical laces on each shoulder
- coat bordered with a white lace below the lapels
- two white button braid loops under each lapel
- white lace around the buttons in the small of the back
- pockets laced white
- each sleeve decorated with two vertical white bands and with 9 horizontal white chevrons between the two vertical bands
Usually militia units did not carry any colour. However, since the battalion was also considered as the third battalion of Braunschweig-Bevern Infantry, it might have carried regimental colours of this regiment which are depicted hereafter.
Regimental colours (Kompaniefahnen): Blue field with red corner wedges. Centre device consisting of a white medallion surrounded by a silver laurel wreath and surmounted by a silver crown. The medallion is decorated with a black eagle holding a sword and lightning bolts surmounted by a blue scroll bearing the silver motto "Pro Gloria et Patria". Corner monograms (crowns, laurel wreaths, FR ciphers) and grenades in silver.
The pikes used as staffs for the colours were brown (maybe black).
Cremer, Peter: Die preussischen Landregimenter & -milizen, die Stettiner Haff-Flotille und das Verpflegungswesen der Armee 1756-1753, KLIO-Arbeitgruppe, Heimbach, 1987
Grosser Generalstab Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II, Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Part 3 Der siebenjährige Krieg 1756-1763, Vol. 1 Pirna und Lobositz, Berlin, 1901, Appendix 1