Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1703 and garrisoned at Hameln.
During the Seven Years War the regimental inhabers were:
- 1740 von Sommerfeld
- 1756 von Post
- 1761 de Sance
- 1761 (late) Prinz Karl von Mecklenburg-Strelitz
In 1763, the regiment Monroy Infantry (No. 10B) was amalgamated to this regiment.
Service during the War
On July 26 1757, during the French invasion of Hanover, the regiment took part in the battle of Hastenbeck where it was deployed in the first line of the right wing under the command of General Block.
On May 26 1758, the regiment was with the corps of the Prince von Anhalt in the camp of Coesfeld. On May 31, this corps accompanied Ferdinand of Brunswick in his offensive on the west bank of the Rhine. On June 23, the regiment took part in the battle of Krefeld where it was deployed on the right wing under the command of the Erbprinz (Hereditary Prince) of Brunswick. At 1:00 PM, the regiment followed the Hereditary Prince in his attack against the wood held by Saint-Germain Division. Towards the end of the battle, the Hereditary Prince and Gilsa rallied the battalion along with other Allied infantry units and advanced onto the plain. The Comte de Gisors at the head of 4 squadrons of Carabiniers charged these advancing battalions who let them close in to about 20 paces before firing a devastating volley mowing down in an instant most of the first rank. A single squadron managed to break through but the third rank of infantry knocked it down. On October 10, the regiment fought in the battle of Lutterberg where it formed part of Major-general Post's brigade deployed in the first line of the centre.
During the first half of 1759, the regiment formed part of the Allied army of Ferdinand of Brunswick. It was attached to Post brigade in the first line of the infantry centre. On April 13, the regiment took part in the battle of Bergen where it formed part of the second column under the Prince von Ysenburg, posted on the left wing of the Allied army. Thw Prince von Ysenburg, who had been a rallying point for Hessian resistance against the French, fell leading the repeated assaults up a steep slope against the abattis situated around the village. The French units in Bergen were strengthened by a reserve who blunted all attacks. After repeated attempts to storm the village of Bergen, the Hanoverian and Hessian troops finally withdrew. In June, the regiment was part of Imhoff's Corps operating in Hesse.
During the night of July 24 to 25 1760, the regiment formed part of Sprörcken's Corps which was harassed by a French Corps under the Comte de Broglie. Spörcken's corps spent the night under arms near a narrow defile between Fishbach (unidentified location) and Wolfhagen, then Spörcken sent his cavalry in a wide turning movement of about 20 km around a hill. His infantry then passed the defile but before the Allied cavalry could join it, the rearguard (Post Infantry (1 bn), Estorff Infantry (1 bn) and 400 picquets) was attacked by French horse and foot. The Allied rearguard managed to gain a rising ground where it held for 2.5 hours till the arrival of Spörcken's cavalry (7 Hanoverian sqns and 2 Hessian sqns under Breitenbach). This cavalry attacked the French in flank and put them into disorder. During this action, the French lost about 1,000 men, the Comte de Vair was killed and the Comte de Belzunce and M. de Comeyras wounded. The Allies lost 200 men. On July 31, the regiment took part in the Battle of Warburg where it was deployed in the first line of the right wing, in front of Ossendorf, under the command of Lieutenant-general Hardenberg.
On July 16 1761, the regiment was present at the Battle of Vellinghausen where it formed part of Wolff's Corps detached by Spörcken from Herzfeld to reinforce Wutginau.
On August 30 1762, the regiment took part in the Combat of Nauheim where it was attached to Lieutenant-General von Hardenberg's column. Around 11:00 a.m., the regiment was part of those who passed the Wetter to attack the Johannisberg. On September 21, the regiment was present at the Combat of Amöneburg where it formed part of Zastrow's Corps occupying the ground immediately before the Brücker Mühle (Zastrow commanded in the absence of Lieutenant-General Hardenberg).
|Coat||red with 2 pewter buttons and 2 white buttonholes under the lapels
|Waistcoat||poison green with 2 horizontal pockets, each with 3 pewter buttons|
Troopers were armed with a musket and a sword, and carried a dark brown haversack with a metal canteen on the left hip.
Officers had silver lace lining the cuffs and lapels, a black cockade hat, a gold gorget with the arms of Hanover in the centre and carried a yellow sash slung over the right shoulder. Sergeants wore straw gloves. Partizans were carried.
Drummers wore a red coat with swallows nest and lace in white.
The drum pattern had hoops in alternating poison green and red diagonal stripes, white drum cords over a brass drum with the Arms of Hanover in the centre.
Colonel Colour: white field; centre device consisting of the Arms of Hanover (common to all Hanoverian infantry regiments).
Regimental Colours: dark green field; centre device consisting of an outstretched mailed arm with sword, the whole surrounded by a laurel wreath and a trophy of arms; a white scroll above carrying the motto CUI VULT. Hereafter, we present an illustration from the Reitzenstein Sammlung, dating from circa 1761 (left) and the interpretation of Hannoverdidi (right).
Biles, Bill: The Hanoverian Army in the 18th Century, Seven Years War Association Journal Vol. VI No. 3
Gmundener Prachtwerk, circa 1761
Knötel, H. der Jung, and Hans M. Brauer: Uniformbogen Nr. 45, Berlin
Niemeyer, Joachim, and Georg Ortenburg: The Hanoverian Army during the Seven Years War
Pengel, R., and G. R. Hurt: German States in the Seven Years War 1740 to 1762, Imperial Press
Reitzenstein Sammlung, Bomann Museum, Celle
Rogge, Christian: The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Vial J. L.: Nec Pluribus Impar