Origin and History
The Dragoon Regiment Piosaque, raised in 1735, was given, after the death of his owner, to Generalfeldmarschall-Leutnant Amadeus von Gabrieli on April 1, 1742, but he succumbed to a wound in July of that year. Generalfeldwachtmeister Siegmund Friedrich Freiherr von Preysing took over the regiment and gave it, after a decree of January 8, 1758, to Generalfeldwachtmeister Johann Kaspar Graf Basselet von La Rosée.
The regiment was primarily composed of 10 companies of 60 men each. By order of August 30, 1747, the 10th Company had been dissolved in other companies. Under the new structure, three companies each formed 1 squadron. Each company had 15 manned horses, so that at any time a marching Squadron could be put together in full numbers. In August 1759, the number of horses in the cavalry was increased from 135 to 150.
The successive regiment Inhaber were:
- since October 12, 1735: Generalwachtmeister Joseph Graf von Piosasque
- from April 1, 1742: Generalwachtmeister Paul Amadeus von Gabrieli
- from January 8, 1758: GFWM Johann Kaspar Graf Basselet von La Rosée
- from April 16, 1795: Generalmajor der Kavallerie Carl Fürst von Bretzenheim
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- since 1735: Oberst Ignaz Freiherr von Zündt
- from 1763: Oberst Christoph Adam Bernhard Freiherr von Meixner (Meichsner)
Service during the War
In October 1757, one mounted squadron in full numbers was composed (135 men). The remaining men from each company remained untouched for the duration of the war and took over garrison and security services within the country's borders. The mounted squadron was detached in June 1758 for security purposes to Ebnath in the northern Upper Palatinate, while the regiment remained in garrison in Landshut. The mounted squadron returned to the regiment on 30 September in Landshut.
Garnison during the war:
- in June, 1756: Landshut
- August 7, 1757: Amberg
- in June, 1758: Landshut
|Headgear||black tricorne with a yellow lace and with a black cockade fastened with a small yellow button|
|Coat||red with 2 yellow buttons under the lapel
|Waistcoat||straw yellow with one row of small yellow buttons|
Troopers were armed with a sword, a pair of pistols, a musket and a bayonet.
Officers uniform would perhaps have a mid blue collar. The lace on the tricorne was gold.
Kettle-drummers would have a field uniform which had inversed colors: mid blue coat and red distinctives..
About the colours of the Bavarian dragoons regiments , we know one model in use during the first part of the 18th century, before 1740; we know 2 models of flags which were in use between 1742 and 1745 and we also know one other model in use in 1771. So, between 1745 and 1771, information are unfortunately very scarce. The following descriptions represent an "educated guess" based on these few sources.
Bavarian dragoons carried 1 guidon colours per squadron. The first squadron of each regiment carried the Leibguidon while other squadrons carried one Ordinarguidon .
For this regiment, we think one of the two known imperial patterns could have been still carried The fringes and laces would be in gold (color of the buttons, tricorne's lace and aiguillette). For the Ordinarguidon, the reverse field color would have been in mid blue (color of the distinctives) and the obverse field color would have been in red (color of the coat).
Please note that, as Ordinarguidon, the 1750's "Interims" pattern and, as Leibguidon, the 1735's "Early 18th century" pattern could have been carried.
Bavarian Army Museum, Ingolstadt
Bavaria (Germany) Heeresarchiv, Geschichte des bayerischen Heeres: Geschichte des kurbayerischen Heeres unter Kurfürst Karl Albrecht und Kurfürst Max III. Joseph 1726-1777, J. Lindauer, 1909
Bezzel, Oskar: Geschichte des Kurpfälzischen Heeres von seinen Anfängen bis zur Vereinigung von Kurpfalz und Kurbayern 1777, nebst Geschichte des Heerwesens in Pfalz-Zweibrücken (Geschichte des Bayerischen Heeres 4/1). Bayerisches Kriegsarchiv, München 1925.
Staudinger, Karl (SGBH): Geschichte des kurbayerischen Heeres unter Kurfürst Karl Albrecht – Kaiser Karl VII. – und Max III. Joseph 1726–1777 (Geschichte des bayerischen Heeres 3). Verlag J. Lindauer, München 1909.