Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Navies >> British Navy >> Prince (90)
Origin and History
The ship, originally named “Triumph”, was built by Robert Lee at the Chatham Dockyard and launched on March 2 1698.
In August 1714, the ship was renamed “Prince”.
In December 1738, the ship was broken up and rebuilt by John Ward at the Chatham Dockyard. She was launched on August 8 1750.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- from January 1755: captain Charles Saunders
- from January to June 1756: captain John Campbell
- from November 1756: captain Elliot Smith
- from May 17 1757: captain Clark Gayton
- from March 1758: captain Edward Clarke
- from 1759: to 1761: captain Joseph Peyton
- in 1762: captain Benjamin Marlow
The ship was retired from service in 1773 and broken up at Plymouth (completed on June 16 1775).
Service during the War
In 1756, the ship joined the squadron operating in the Mediterranean.
In May 1759, during the naval operations in the Mediterranean, the ship was part of admiral Edward Boscawen's squadron who blockaded Toulon to prevent the French squadron from leaving without being detected and followed. She was the flagship of vice-admiral Broderick. At the beginning of July, Boscawen was compelled to go to Gibraltar for provisions and repairs. On August 4, Boscawen finally reached Gibraltar. On August 5, de la Clue set sail from Toulon to make a junction with de Conflans' fleet at Brest. On August 17, de la Clue's fleet (10 ships of the line, 2 50-gun ships and 3 frigates) passed the straits of Gibraltar where it was sighted by the Gibraltar (20). Alarmed, Boscawen set sail from Gibraltar to intercept de la Clue. On August 18, the ship took part to the victorious battle of Lagos. After the battle, the ship was part of vice-admiral Broderick's squadron who remained in the straits and blockaded Cadiz, in which still lay that part of the French squadron which had taken refuge there. On November 9, Broderick was driven from his station in front of Cadiz by a storm and was obliged to send his flagship, the Prince (90) to Gibraltar to refit. He then hoisted his flag on board the Conqueror (68).
In 1760 and 1761, the ship served with the Western Squadron.
|Length at gundeck||168 ft 7 in (51.38 m)|
|Width||48 ft (14.63 m)|
|Depth||20 ft 2 in (6.15 m)|
Blasco, Manuel, 3 Decks Wiki – British 2nd Rates
Harrison, Simon, British Second Rate Ship of the Line 'Prince' (1750)
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.