Prince George (90)
Origin and History
The ship was rebuilt Deptford and relaunched on 4 September 1723.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- 1756: captain Abraham North
- February to April 13 1758: captain Joseph Peyton
In 1758, the ship was accidentally destroyed by fire.
Service during the War
In the latter part of May 1756, the ship was the flagship of commodore Broderick's squadron of 5 ships of the line which had been sent from Great Britain to the Mediterranean to reinforce Byng. The squadron arrived at Gibraltar on June 15 where it joined Byng's fleet which had been defeated at the battle of Minorca on May 20.
At the beginning of 1758, a British squadron of 11 ships of the line and 9 frigates conducted operations in the Mediterranean under the command of admiral Henry Osborn. This squadron intercepted a smaller French squadron which had sailed from Toulon for North America, forcing it to take refuge into the harbour of Cartagena. In February, the French sent a relief squadron (only 5 ships of the line and a frigate) under M. Duquesne. On February 28, off Cape de Gata, Osborn sighted 4 of these sail near his fleet and ordered them to be chased while the main part of the British squadron, including the Prince George, continued off Carthagena to watch the French ships there. On April 13, the Prince George was unhappily burnt by accident with a loss of 485 lives.
|Length at gundeck||164 ft (50 m)|
|Width||47 ft 2 in (14.4 m)|
|Depth||18 ft 10 in (5.7 m)|
|Displacement||1,611 tons (1 461 metric tons)|
Clowes, Wm. Laird, The Royal Navy – A History from the Earliest Time to the Present, Vol. III, Sampson Low, Marston and Company, London: 1898, pp. 146-160
- HMS Duke (1682)
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.