Prinz Savoyen Dragoons

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Austrian Army >> Prinz Savoyen Dragoons

Origin and History

On February 7 1682, Johann Heinrich Count Kueffstein, Baron of Greillenstein obtained the authorisation of Emperor Leopold I to raise a dragoon regiment of 10 companies. Colonel Count Kueffstein also acted as commander of the regiment. The Hofkriegsrat (Court War Council) appointed Count Magni (formerly from Schulz Dragoons) as lieutenant-colonel; and Christoph Ehrenreich Count Rindsmaul as major. Half of the recruits were raised in the Hereditary Lands of the Habsburg and half in the territory of the Holy Roman Empire. On June 11 of the same year, despite the fact that it was not yet complete, the regiment set off for Silesia. On June 23, it incorporated 100 men from Arco's disbanded company of Hungarian volunteers. At the end of July, the regiment was ordered to join the corps of G.d.C. Count Schulz at Teschen (present-day Czieszyn/PL). The regiment spent winter in Silesia. In December, Count Magni was transferred together with the entire Oberst-lieutenant-Kompanie to the new dragoon regiment of Julius Prince von Savoyen. Magni was then replaced by Lieutenant-Colonel Johann Christian Duke of Schleswig-Holstein.

In July 1683, 5 companies under Colonel Kueffstein were sent to Duke Karl von Lothringen's Army operating against the Turks in Hungary. On September 12, they were part of the Austrian contingent, under the command of Duke Karl von Lothringen, when the army of John III Sobieski relieved Vienna from the besieging Turkish army. The other 5 companies, led by major Rindsmaul, remained in Bohemia. Colonel Kueffstein's 5 companies fought at Parkány where Kueffstein was killed in action. On December 14, Prince Eugène de Savoie was appointed as the new proprietor (he was only 20 years old and formerly served in the dragoon regiment of his brother Julius).

At the end of May 1684, Prince Eugène joined his new regiment. In the same period, the 5 companies previously stationed in Bohemia joined the regiment which now counted 600 men. In June, Lieutenant-Colonel Duke of Schleswig-Holstein was appointed proprietor of a new dragoon regiment raised by the Principality of Schleswig. It's not clear, who succeeded him as lieutenant-colonel for the coming campaign (may be Major Rindsmaul). During this campaign, the regiment took part in the siege and battle of Ofen.

In 1685, the regiment was at the Battle of Gran. In 1686, it took part in the second siege of Ofen and in the expedition in Lower Hungary. In 1687 at the battle of Mohacs, it was first kept in the entrenchments. Cornet Count Sinzendorf threw himself in the thickest of the fighting. He had two horses killed under him and was wounded twice. He then pursued the Turks for an hour before finally dying from his wounds. On September 6 1688, at the storming of Belgrade, the regiment was among the first to penetrate into the fortress.

In 1689, after the outbreak of the Nine Years' War (1688–97), the regiment was transferred from Hungary to the Rhine to fight against the French. In 1691, it was transferred to Italy where it took part in the engagement near Turin. In 1693, the regiment was at the Battle of Marsaglia in Piedmont. In 1695, it took part in the siege of Cassale. It remained until 1697.

In 1697, the regiment was transferred to Hungary to fight the Turks and it participated in the Battle of Zenta.

At the beginning of the War of the Spanish Succession, the 12 companies of the regiment (about 970 men) quitted their quarters of Stein in Lower Austria and marched through Wels and Salzburg towards Italy. It two columns joined the Austrian troops encamping at Bronio on June 1 and 2. On July 9, the regiment distinguished itself at the bloody encounter near Carpi. On August 25, 200 dragoons of the regiment under the command of colonel count Roccavione reconnoitred the region between the Oglio and the Adda rivers and fought an engagement against an enemy detachment, bringing back 16 prisoners to the camp. On August 31, another detachment of the regiment reconnoitred the enemy camp at Castrezzato and bumped into enemy picquets. In October and November, dragoons of the regiment were used to observe the movements of the enemy. On December 5, 500 dragoons of the regiment took part to a raid on the post of Marcaria. During the campaign of 1702, the regiment took part to the deadly battle of Luzzara where it repulsed the French Carabiniers and two Irish battalions which were trying to break through the Austrian left flank. In 1703, the regiment was part of the army of count Guido Starhemberg operating in Piedmont and was involved in the engagements of Mirandola and Trino. In 1704 and 1705, the regiment still operated in Italy where it took part to the battle of Cassano in 1705. On July 22 1706, the regiment formed the rearguard of the army of the duke of Savoy when he retired to Saluzes closely followed by the French. On September 7, the regiment took part to the attack on the French entrenchments between the Dora and Stura rivers. The same year, it participated to the relief of Turin. During the campaign of 1707, the regiment took part to the enterprise against Toulon. In 1708, it was transferred from the Italian theatre of operation to Hungary to fight the insurrection of Rakoczy. On January 22 1710, the regiment took part to the victorious encounter of Vadkert on the Eipel which put an end to the Hungarian insurrection. In 1711, the regiment was transferred to the Rhine. In 1712, it took part to the battle of Denain.

In 1716, the regiment took part to the campaign against the Turks and besieged Temesvar. In 1717, it was at the siege of Belgrade and took part to the battle of August 16 in front of the city where it suffered heavy casualties.

During the War of the Polish Succession, the regiment garrisoned Vienna in 1733. In the campaigns of 1734 and 1735, it was in the army of its 'Inhaber on the Rhine.

Did you know that...
Ferdinand Karl Gobert Count Aspremont-Lynden, the proprietor of Prinz Savoyen Dragoons, was born on September 17 1689 at the Castle of Froidcourt in the Spanish Netherlands (present-day Belgium). From 1708, he served in a Dutch dragoon regiment. He later joined the Imperial Army. In 1722, he was general-adjutant of Prince Eugène de Savoie. In 1733, Count Aspremont-Lynden assumed command of the dragoon regiment “Prinz Eugen von Savoyen”. From 1737 to 1772, he was proprietor of this regiment. In 1743, during the War of the Austrian Succession, he commanded the Austro-Piedmontese army in Italy. In 1754, he was promoted Field-marshal (FM). In 1763, he became commander of the “Arcièren-Leibgarde” and Knight of the Order of the Golden-Fleece. He was married thrice and died on August 17 1772.
Portrait of Ferdinand Karl Gobert, Count Aspremont-Lynden – Source: User Lordelicht in Wikimedia Commons

Acknowledgement: Harald Skala for this short biography

Another war broke with Turkey and the regiment took part to the campaigns of 1737, 1738 and 1739. The first year it was at the siege of Usitza. In 1738, it participated to the engagements of Cornia and Mehadia, loosing almost all its company of grenadiers in the latter combat. In 1739, it took part to the bloody battle of Krotzka where it lost 55 killed and 42 wounded. On August 15, the colonel of the regiment, Ludwig count Gross took part to the peace negotiations at the camp of the grand vizir. At the end of the war, in 1740, the regiment took its quarters in Banat.

At the beginning of the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment was assigned to the corps under the command of count Palffy. In 1742, it took part to the winter expedition in Upper Austria and Bavaria. In the night of January 15, the Franco-Bavarian occupied Linz. On January 16, the regiment attacked them and put them to flight, capturing a large part of the enemy troops. In September, the regiment was operating against the French in northern Bohemia as part of corps of the archduke of Tuscany. On February 8 1743 at the battle of Campo Santo, the regiment was deployed on the left wing under the command of count Beyersberg. In 1744, it took part to the enterprise against Naples and to the attack on the Spanish camp at Velletri. In 1746, it was at the battle of Piacenza where it was deployed on the right wing along Schmerzing and Portugal cuirassiers. They broke through the Spanish infantry, capturing several men. The same year, the regiment took part to the battle of Rottofreno. At the end of the war, in 1748, it took its quarters in Lombardy. In 1749, it was stationed in Hungary.

From 1754, the regiment garrisoned the towns of Tyrnau (present-day Trnava/SK) and Neutra (present-day Nitra/SK).

On the eve of the Seven Years's War, the regiment counted 12 companies (6 squadrons) and a company of horse grenadiers. For battles, the latter was usually converged with other similar companies to form an elite unit.

During the Seven Years' War, the proprietor of the regiment were:

  • since 1737 until 1772: Ferdinand Karl Count Aspremont-Lynden

N.B.: From 1737, contrarily to the other regiments of the Austrian Army who were known by the name of their proprietor, this regiment kept the name of the illustrious general who owned it from 1683 to 1736: Eugène François Prince de Savoie.

During the Seven Years' War the successive commanders of the regiment were:

  • since 1751: Franz de Paula Anton Count Hallwyl
  • from 1756: Pantaleon-Joachim-Olivier Count Gourcy d´Aulnoye
  • from April 18 1758 until 1771: Johann Friedrich Alexander Baron von Berlichingen

In 1769, the regiment was numbered 9th. In 1798, now a light dragoon regiment, it was numbered 15th. From 1802 to 1860, it was numbered 5th; from 1860 to 1867; 1st. Finally, in 1867, it was ranked 13th.

Despite all this changes in the numbering system, since April 21 1736, the regiment has always retained the name of his most illustrious proprietor and has been known as the “Savoyen, Eugen Franz Prinz von, Graf von Soissons, General-Lieutenant und FM Regiment”.

Service during the War

In June 1756, at the beginning of the war, the regiment was stationed in Hungary, garrisoning Tyrnau (present-day Trnava/SK) and Neutra (present-day Nitra/SK) and counted 807 men and 801 horses. In June, it received recruits from Moravia and Silesia and could now field 1,000 men. It was then sent to the camp at Hradisch (present-day Hradiště/CZ) in Moravia. On September 7, it set off from Hradisch to join FZM Piccolomini's covering force in the Königshof-Kolin region in Bohemia. On September 17, it joined Piccolomini at Königgrätz (present-day Hradec Králové/CZ). According to the order of battle of this army, the regiment was in the first line on the left wing, brigaded with Porporati Dragoons and Radicati Cuirassiers under the command of Major-General Porporati, in the division of FML Count Spada. From September, the Prussian FM Schwerin conducted operations in Eastern Bohemia. On October 28, when he retired from Bohemia, Piccolomini's Army took up its winter-quarters. The regiment, then counting 972 men with 910 horses, was quartered at Landskron (present-day Lanškroun/CZ), Wildenschwert (present-day Ústí nad Orlicí/CZ), Böhmisch Trübau (present-day Česká Třebová/CZ), Proschetz (present-day Proseč/CZ) and Chocen (present-day Choceň/CZ), with its staff at Landskron.

On February 28, FZM Piccolomini died and G.d.C. Count Serbelloni took command of his army. The regiment was brigaded with Zweibrücken-Birkenfeld Dragoons under Major-General Count Starhemberg, in the division of FML Count Spada.. For a brief period, the regiment was sent back to Moravia. On May 1, it returned to Königgrätz. Its horse grenadiers were converged with other companies of horse grenadiers and carabiniers in an elite corps led by FML Count Puebla which was attached to the vanguard of the army. On May 4, FM Leopold Count Daun replaced Serbelloni at the head of this army. On May 6, after the defeat of Prague, Puebla's elite cavalry corps which was already at Auwal (present-day Úvaly near Prague) rallied with Daun's main body at Podiebrad (present day Poděbrady/CZ) and was dissolved. The regiment was then brigaded with Kolowrat-Krakowski Dragoons under Trautmannsdorf , in the division of FML Benedikt Daun, in the right wing led by G.d.C Serbelloni. Daun“s army went to Goltsch-Jenikau (present day Golčův Jeníkov/CZ) and remained there until June 12. On June 18, the regiment took part in the Battle of Kolin where it was deployed in the first line of the cavalry right wing under Count Serbelloni. During the battle, with all the superior officers of his company killed or wounded, Lieutenant Franquet advanced under the fire of the opposing Prussian units, crossed a ravine and captured a flag and a small battery. Meanwhile, Captain Franz Thomas Baron Biettagh at the head of the company of horse grenadiers of the regiment, realising that a gap had suddenly opened into the Austrian infantry line, immediately closed this gap. His unit was now under enemy fire. The Prussian were quickly reinforced by cavalry squadrons who impetuously attacked Biettagh's troops which pushed them back 2,000 paces. Biettagh then charged a Prussian battalion, forcing it to deposit arms. This charge allowed the Austrian infantry to rally (for these feat of arms, Franquet and Biettagh would both receive the Maria-Theresien-Orden on 20 September 1757). The regiment suffered heavy casualties during this battle: Captain Baron Mladota, Lieutenant Count Königsacker, Ensigns Baron Bechinie and Würth, 31 men and 88 horses were killed; Colonel Count Joachim Gourcy and Major von Ritterstein, 8 officers and 157 men, wounded; and 58 men and 59 horses missing. After the battle, FM Daun followed the retiring Prussian army. The regiment was now brigaded with Erzherzog Ferdinand Cuirassiers under the Duke von Löwenstein, in the division of FML B. Daun and went through Böhmisch Leipa (present-day Česká Lípa/CZ), Gabel (present-day Jablonné v Podještědí/CZ) and Zittau. On September 6, Daun's Army reached Jauernick and Friedersdorf near Görlitz. It then proceeded to the invasion of Silesia. On September 11, it crossed the Neisse River on 4 bridges. On September 12, it reached Lauban (present-day Luban/PL) where the regiment would remain until September 30 as part of the new corps of FZM Marschall. Later during the year, a detachment of the regiment formed part of the force sent by FZM Marschall to reinforce the corps of GFWM Count Hadik which undertook a raid on Berlin. During the occupation of the city, the detachment was kept in reserve at the gates. Lieutenant Count Olivieri from the regiment, had the honour to bring the news of the occupation of Berlin to FM Daun, who was operating in Silesia. By October 24, the regiment counted 449 men, among which only 383 were fit for duty. Furthermore, detachments totalled 190 men and 174 horses. FZM Marschall's Corps was then sent to Bohemia to drive back FM Keith who was devastating the region around Leitmeritz (present-day Litoměřice/CZ). However, Marschall's Corps arrived too late. At the end of December, his troops took up their winter-quarters, the regiment taking quarters in the villages around Bömisch Leipa (present-day Česká Lípa/CZ).

Early in 1758, new recruits arrived from Bohemia. On January 17, Colonel Pantaleon Count Courcy was promoted to Major-General. By the end of January, the regiment counted 960 men and 1,023 horses (approx. half of the men operating in several detachments). On February 25, the regiment marched to the region of Gabel (present-day Jablonné v Podještědí/CZ). On March 1, the regiment built a “Depot-squadron” which was located at Lochowitz near Beraun (present-day Beroun/CZ). Therefore, for the following campaign, the regiment could field one horse grenadier coy and 5 squadrons. On April 18, Lieutenant-Colonel Baron von Berlichingen was appointed as the new commander of the regiment. At the beginning of May, the regiment was allocated to the corps of FML Count Maquire assembling at Niemes (present-day Mimoň/CZ). By 11 May, the regiment was brigaded with Pálffy Cuirassiers under Major-General Baron Berlichingen, in the division of FML Count Schallenberg. On 29 May, the Reichsarmee and Serbelloni's Corps (including the regiment) effected a junction at Saatz (present-day Žatec/CZ). Prince Pfalz-Zweibrücken took command of this Austro-Imperial army. On July 20, Serbelloni's Corps separated from the Reichsarmee and marched to Bilin (present-day Bílina/CZ). By July 28, the regiment was at Töplitz (present-day Teplice/CZ) where it was brigaded with Liechtenstein Dragoons under Marquis Voghera in Maquire's Corps de Reserve. On August 4, this corps proceeded to Brüx (present-day Most/CZ) and Kommotau (present-day Chomutov/CZ). On August 12, it returned to Töplitz. On August 13, the horse grenadiers of the regiment were converged with other grenadier and carabinier companies to form an elite corps under the command of Major-General Count Guasco. From 20 August, the regiment took part in an offensive against the army of Prince Henri in Saxony. On October 25, the regiment, along with Blau Würzburg Infantry, under Duke Esterházy was sent to the right bank of the Elbe to support Török's hussars in their attempt to cut Prussian lines of supply. On October 28, Esterházy returned to Pirna. On November 4, the regiment, now attached to the corps of FML Duke Fürstenberg went to Beggießhübel and Lauenstein. On November, 6, the regiment, now at Freiberg, was brigaded with Trautmansdorf Cuirassiers and Alt-Modena Cuirassiers under Major-General Baron Berlichingen and posted in the first line of the right wing. On November 11, a detachment of the regiment under Major Baron von Leysser was allocated to Hadik's Corps, while the rest of the unit remained with the Reichsarmee. On November 15, Baron Leysser was wounded at the encounter of Eulenburg. The regiment took up its winter-quarters on right bank of the Main River between Coburg and Bamberg.

In February 1759, the regiment was reviewed at Ummerstadt, three of its companies were posted at Zeil. On March 12, a detachment of the regiment took part in the capture of Vacha, occupied by Hessian troops. Afterwards Colonel Baron Vécsey marched to Hersfeld with a mixed detachments (including 100 dragoons of the regiment and 400 men from Szechényi Hussars). On the morning of March 15, Vécsey's detachment appeared in front of Hersfeld (present-day Bad Hersfeld) and the Hessian garrison fled towards Kassel. On the night of March 16, Vécsey's detachment caught up with the Hessian detachment near Fulda and virtually annihilated it, bringing back 35 prisoners. On April 1, during the Prussian incursion into Thuringia, Colonel Stockhausen with some Hessian hussars and light troops surprised Prinz Savoyen Dragoons and Bretlach Cuirassiers near Tann, capturing 4 of their standards (including 2 standards of Prinz Savoyen Dragoons) and inflicting them heavy losses. On April 2, the regiment, now attached to FML Schallenberg's cavalry detachment, went to Königshofen an der Saale where it remained until the end of April, attached to Reichsarmee. On June 4, when Hadik's Corps retired to Bohemia, the regiment remained with the Reichsarmee, in the brigade of Major-General Marquis Voghera. By mid-August, during the Austro-Imperial campaign in Saxony, the regiment was attached to Zweibrücken's Corps. On September 2, Major Leysser of the regiment escorted the Prussian garrison after the capitulation of Dresden. On September 21, it took part in the combat of Korbitz where it was deployed in Kleefeld's division and lost only 3 men wounded. On October 20, the regiment was part of Zweibrücken's Corps who marched along Elbe River and effected a junction with the light troops of General Kleefeld, Baron Ried and Count Pálffy. On 28 October, fearing to be attacked by General Wunsch, Zweibrücken crossed the Elbe near Riesa and camped between Leutewitz and Poritz. He then marched towards Dresden which he reached on November 7. On November 13, part of the regiment was detached under Major Leysser to support the Kreisregiment Hohenzollern Cuirassiers posted at Herzogswalda. On November 19, the regiment as attached to Stolberg's Corps who took position at Burkertswalda, 1 km east of Maxen. On November 20, the regiment took part in the Battle of Maxen where it was attached to the Reichsarmee Contingent deployed near Berggießhübel under the command of the Prince Stolberg. During this action, along with 6 battalions of infantry, it took part in the encirclement of the Prussian army blocking the area of Krebs but did not see any fighting. On November 25, the regiment left the Reichsarmee and was allocated to O'Donell's Corps, itself part of Daun's main army. The regiment probably took up its winter-quarters around Reinhardsgrimma, Frauendorf and Maxen. On December 31, rejoined Hadik's Corps concentrating at Dippoldiswalde.

In the first days of January 1760, the regiment returned to its former winter-quarters. For the incoming campaign, the regiment, who was now attached to Hadik's Corps, could field 610 dragoons fit for service in 5 sqns and 1 horse grenadier coy. It was brigaded with Saint-Ignon Dragoons under d'Ayasassa, in Schallenberg's Division. When Hadik was transferred to the Reichsarmee, FZM Count Wied replaced him at the head of this corps. On March 18, the regiment was reviewed at Nentmannsdorf, it then counted 949 men and 993 horses (including two reserve companies who were absent from the army). In May, it was transferred to the corps of G.d.C. Baron von Buccow, where it was brigaded with Erzherzog Leopold Cuirassiers under Major-General Marquis Voghera, in the division of FLM Count Lanthieri. In mid-July, Daun sent Buccow's Corps to reconnoitre the movements of Frederick's Army. Buccow confirmed that he was marching on Dresden. On July 18, Buccow's Corps, acting as vanguard, reached Weissig near Dresden, closely followed by Daun's main army. At the end of July, Frederick raised the siege of Dresden and marched towards Liegnitz. On August 15 the regiment was at the Battle of Liegnitz where it lost only 1 man killed and 2 wounded. By October 7, Voghera's Brigade (including Prinz Savoyen Dragoons) was part of Daun's Army and was posted near Langhelwigsdorf (present-day Pogwidzów/PL). On November 3, the regiment took part in the Battle of Torgau where it was brigaded with Erzherzog Leopold Cuirassiers and Benedikt Daun Cuirassiers under Voghera and deployed in the first line of the right wing. Voghera's Brigade reconquered the Süptitzer Heights occupied by the Prussian infantry regiments Manteuffel, Queiss and Alt-Stuterheim. However, the Prussians opposed a courageous resistance and the regiment suffered heavy casualties. Captains Kraleppe and Christellni, Lieutenant-Colonel Count Strassoldo, Lieutenants Fracky and Cast and 13 troopers were wounded, while Captain Olivieri, Lieutenant Geissen and 98 troopers became prisoners of war. By November 9, the regiment had retired to Räckwitz. Due to its losses at Torgau, it could field only 3 sqns. In mid-November, it took up its winter-quarters north of Dresden. By the end of December, it counted 866 men and 782 horses but, from this total, 365 men and 290 horses were detached or part of the reserve company. In fact there were only 491 men and 492 horses near Dresden. The “Depot Companie” of the regiment (on average 189 men and 260 horses) had spent the entire year in Southern Bohemia. For its part, the “Reserve Companie” (on average 56 men, 70 horses) had been stationed at Stockerau in Lower Austria until the end of February, before being transferred to and returning to Stockerau in October.

At the beginning of 1761, the regiment was attached to FML Beck's Corps. At the end of March, Beck was replaced by FML Lacy at the head of this corps. In May, the regiment was transferred to the new corps that FM Daun had decided to assemble near Zittau under the command of G.d.C O'Donnell. On May 27, O'Donell's Corps took cantonments in the region of Zittau, the regiment being cantoned at Herrnhut. On July 5, the largest part of O'Donell's Corps (including the regiment) was sent as reinforcements for Loudon's Corps operating in Silesia. On July 17, the regiment arrived at Loudon's camp at Dittersbach and Braunau (present-day Brunow near Lwowek Slaski/PL). On August 8, as Loudon was marching towards Schweidnitz to effect a junction with a Russian army, the regiment was brigaded with Jung-Modena Dragoons under Major-General Duke Lobkowitz in the first line of the right wing, as part of FML Pelegrini's Division in O'Kelly's Corps. On August 18, the junction of Loudon's and Buturlin's armies was effected and Frederick entrenched his army at Bunzelwitz. On September 10, when Buturlin finally decided to retire towards Poland, the regiment was one of the five Austrian cavalry regiments who escorted his army. Towards the end of October, the regiment (783 men and 788 horses) was attached to a new corps under Major-General Count Esterházy. At the end of the campaign, the regiment took up its winter-quarters at Schönberg (present-day Sulikow/PL). During that year, the depot-squadron (approx. 100 men and horses) had been stationed near Pisek in Bohemia while the reserve squadron (approx. 70 men and horses) had been stationed in Vienna.

In 1762, the regiment was part of General Beck's Corps. On January 2, Beck's Corps marched by Görlitz to Bautzen. On January 8, it arrived at Bautzen. The regiment and Splényi Hussars were placed under the command of Major-General Ujházy. On January 20, FML Beck got ill and was replaced by Major-General Baron Zigan. The regiment went to Löbau and Bernstadt. On March 14, when Zigan's Corps marched out of its winter-quarters, the regiment remained at Bautzen in Upper Lusatia in Major-General Baron Simbschen's detachment to observe the Prussian corps of Schmettau and Thadden. On April 11, Simbschen's detachment marched to Thiemendorf (present-day Radostow/PL), In mid-April, it effected a junction with Zigan's Corps. FML Baron Beck then returned to his corps and assumed command. On May 11, when Beck's Corps left for Upper Silesia, the regiment (870 men and 837 horses) was allocated to the main army at Schweidnitz. In June, Captain Baron Lilien distinguished himself by dispersing a piquet of Prussian dragoons. From August to October, a detachment of 130 men of the regiment, under the command of Captain Dominik Anton Count Lodron, formed part of the garrison during the Siege of Schweidnitz. On August 8, part of the garrison made a sortie, the cavalry detachment was led by Captain Lodron of the regiment (for his conduct, Captain Lodron would received the Knight Cross of the Maria-Theresia-Order on October 21 1762). On August 16, the rest of the regiment was at the Battle of Reichenbach where it was deployed in Bettoni's Brigade on the left wing near Langen-Bielau (present-day Bielawa/PL). The regiment saw no action during this battle. Afterwards, it retired to Batsdorf. In October, when Daun's Army marched to Bohemia, the regiment was allocated to the corps of FML Count Martigny who reached Reichenberg (present-day Liberec/CZ) on November 1 and then proceed to Töplitz (present-day Teplice/CZ). On November 9, Martigny's Corps was ordered to take position in the region of Brüx (present-day Most/CZ) to cover the border with Saxony. On November 29, the regiment was part of a detachment under FML Count Pellegrini who was sent to reinforce the Reichsarmee. This detachment marched to Franconia. However, the Reichsarmee did not engage the Prussians any more, remaining around Nuremberg. The regiment took position at Neustadt an der Aisch.

In March 1763, after the signature of the Treaty of Hubertusburg (February 15), the regiment marched from Franconia to Bohemia where it garrisoned villages around Pisek. Later on, it went to its peace garrison places in Hungary in the Comitat (counties) of Pest and Bács.

Uniform

Privates

Uniform in 1762 - Source: Richard Couture
Uniform Details
as per the Albertina Handschrift of 1762

completed with other sources where necessary
Headgear
Trooper black tricorne (no lace) with a black cockade fastened with a small yellow button
Grenadier bearskin
Neckstock black
Coat red with 3 yellow buttons under the lapel on the right side
Collar none
Shoulder strap both shoulders: red fastened with a yellow button
right shoulder: black aiguillette
Lapels black with 7 yellow buttons
Pockets horizontal pockets each with 3 yellow buttons
Cuffs black with 3 yellow buttons
Turnbacks black
Waistcoat red with two rows of yellow buttons and horizontal pockets (each with 3 yellow buttons)
Breeches red
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt natural leather (according to the illustration of the Bautzener Bilderhandschrift of 1762)
Waistbelt white
Cartridge Box black leather
Scabbard black leather
Footgear black boots
Horse Furniture
Saddlecloth red laced with a wide black braid decorated with white and black squares (according to the illustration of the Bautzener Bilderhandschrift of 1762)
Housings red laced with a wide black braid decorated with white and black squares (according to the illustration of the Bautzener Bilderhandschrift of 1762)
Blanket roll red and black (according to the illustration of the Bautzener Bilderhandschrift of 1762)


Troopers were armed with a sword, a pair of pistols, a musket and a bayonet.

Other interpretations

Raspe shows a brown leather scabbard.

The Bautzener Bilderhandschrift shows a laced tricorne and straw breeches.

Officers

The officers (according to the Bautzener Bilderhandschrift of 1762) wore the same uniform with the following exceptions:

  • tricorne laced gold with a green and white cockade
  • gold aiguillette on the right shoulder
  • straw breeches
  • green saddlecloth and sabretache both laced in gold and fringed in yellow

Musicians

Drummers of the regiments of dragoons usually wore the same uniform as the troopers heavily laced with yellow and black braids or a uniform with inverted colours. Thus, in the case of this regiment, drummers probably wore a red uniform laced in yellow and black.

Colours

Leib Standard: no information available yet

Regimental Standard: red field heavily embroidered in gold, gold fringe

  • Obverse: cypher CRI (for Carolus Romanus Imperator) surrounded by palm and laurel branches; two inverted cyphers EVS (for Eugen von Savoyen)
  • Reverse: a black armed double eagle surmounted by the Austrian crown, on the breast of the eagle a shield surrounded by the neck lace of the Order of the Golden Fleece, with the cyphers EVS (for Eugen von Savoyen) in each outer corner
Regimental Standard (Reverse)

References

This article incorporates texts from the following book which is now in the public domain:

  • Wengen, F. v.: Geschichte des k. k. österreichischen 13. Dragoner-Regimentes Prinz Eugen von Savoyen, Brandeis 1879
  • Thürheim, Andreas; Die Reiter-Regiment der k. k. österreichischen Armee, vol. 1 - Die Cürassiere und Dragoner, F.B. Geitler, Wien: 1862, pp. 316-347

Other sources

Brauer, H.M., Uniformbogen and Fahnentafeln, plate 95

Donath, Rudolf, Die Kaiserliche und Kaiserlich-Königliche Österreichische Armee 1618-1918, 2. Aufl., Simbach/Inn 1979, Teil III Blatt 2

Funcken, Liliane and Fred , Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle

Grosser Generalstab, Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Hiller, Berlin, 1830-1913

Kornauth, Friedrich, Das Heer Maria Theresias: Faksimile-Ausgabe der Albertina-Handschrift, "Dessins des Uniformes des Troupes I.I. et R.R. de l'année 1762", Wien: 1973

Raspe, Accurate Vorstellung der sämtlichen KAYSERLICH KOENIGLICHEN ARMEEN zur eigentlichen Kentnis der UNIFORM von jedem Regimente. Nebst beygefügter Geschichte, worinne von der Stiftung, denen Chefs, der Staercke, und den wichtigsten Thaten jedes Regiments Nachricht gegeben wird., Nürnberg: 1762

Schirmer, Friedrich, Die Heere der kriegführenden Staaten 1756-1763, hrsg. von der KLIO-Landesgruppe Baden-Württemberg, überarb. u. aktual. Neuauflage 1989

Skala H., Österreichische Militärgeschichte

Thadden, Franz-Lorenz v., Die theresianische Kavallerie - II. Teil, Die Zinnfigur, Klio, 1968

Thümmler, L.-H., Die Österreichiches Armee im Siebenjährigen Krieg: Die Bautzener Bilderhandschrift aus dem Jahre 1762, Berlin 1993

Zahn, Michael, Oesterreichische Kürassier und Dragoner Standarten in Siebenjährigen Krieges, Zusammenstellung, 1988

Acknowledgement

Harald Skala for the detailed history of thie regiment