Prinz von Nassau-Weilburg Infantry

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Palatine Army >> Prinz von Nassau-Weilburg Infantry

Origin and History

The regiment was raised in on May 7 1755. During peacetime, it garrisoned Düsseldorf.

At the outbreak of the Seven Years' War, the regiment was not at full strength, totalling only some 1,000 men. It consisted of 2 battalions. Theoretically, each of these battalions should count 1 grenadier coys (100 men) and 5 musketeer coys (each of 140 musketeers). The regimental artillery consisted of 1 gun per battalion, each served by 20 artillerymen detached from the Palatine Artillery.

During the Seven Years' War, the chef of the regiment was:

  • since May 7 1755: Carl Christian Fürst von Nassau-Weilburg
  • from February 15 1759 to December 12 1766: Wilhelm baron von Fürstenberg

During the Seven Years' War, its commanders were:

  • since 1755: count von Arzt
  • from 1759: von Speckheuer

Service during the War

The regiment did not form part of the Palatine contingent under French subsidies. It remained in the Electorate of Palatinate (aka Pfalz) throughout the war. Its first battalion garrisoned Jülich.

Uniform

Privates

Uniform in 1757 - Source: rf-figuren from a Not By Appointment template
Uniform in 1757
Headgear
Musketeer black tricorne laced white with blue within white pompoms
Grenadier
Prinz von Nassau-Weilburg Infantry Grenadier Mitre Cap - Source: rf-figuren from a Not By Appointment template
Austrian style bearskin with a brass shield and a red bag laced white with a white tassel
Neckstock black
Coat blue coat with 3 brass buttons and 3 white laced buttonholes under the lapels and 1 in the small of the back

N.B.: during summer, a linen smock was worn instead of the coat

Collar none
Shoulder Straps red with 1 brass button (left shoulder)
Lapels red with 7 brass buttons and 7 white laced buttonholes grouped 1,2,2,2
Pockets horizontal pockets, each with 3 brass buttons
Cuffs red with 3 brass buttons and 3 white laced buttonholes
Turnbacks red fastened with a small brass button
Waistcoat white with 15 brass buttons
Breeches white
Gaiters black with 22 brass buttons
Leather Equipment
Crossbelt paille (straw) or white
Waistbelt white
Cartridge Box black with 4 little yellow grenades, grenadiers wore an additional little cartridge box at their waistbelt, it was black carrying one yellow grenade
Bayonet Scabbard natural leather
Scabbard natural leather with brass fittings only at the beginning of war, later none
Footgear black shoes


Privates were armed with a musket, a bayonet and a curved sword.

Other interpretations

Pengel and Hurt specify white metal buttons in 1762, yellow buttons being introduced later.

NCOs

no information available yet

Officers

The officers wore the same uniform with the following exceptions:

  • scalloped tricorne with a black cockade and no pompoms
  • golden gorget (since 1755)
  • gold buttons and laces
  • white and blue striped sash (silver and blue for staff officers)
  • white and blue sword frog (silver and blue for staff officers)
  • buff gloves
  • black cane

Grenadier officers used a musket instead of a spontoon. Therefore, they wore a little cartouche (laced gold with a golden front plate) at the waistbelt.

Musicians

no information available yet

Colours

Colours before 1760

Colonel flag (Leibfahne): white field bordered with white and blue flames; centre device consisting of an image of the Madonna of Dorfen standing on a snake, surmounted by a white scroll carrying the motto “Sub Tuum Praesidium Virgo Gloriosa”; each corner monogram consisting of the yellow cypher of Karl IV Theodor surrounded by a wreath.

Regimental flags (Kompaniefahnen): blue field; centre device consisting of the yellow cypher of Karl IV Theodor surmounted by a red and gold Electoral cap; each corner monogram consisting of the yellow cypher of Karl IV Theodor surrounded by laurel branches bound with a red ribbon.

Colours from 1760

Each battalion carried 2 colours.

Colonel flag (Leibfahne): white field bordered with white and blue flames; centre device consisting of an image of the Madonna of Dorfen standing on a snake, surmounted by a white scroll carrying the motto “Sub Tuum Praesidium Virgo Gloriosa”; each corner monogram consisting of the yellow cypher of Karl IV Theodor surrounded by a wreath.

Regimental flags (Kompaniefahnen): blue or yellow field bordered with blue and white squares in a checker pattern; centre device consisting of the Electoral arms on a shield resting on clouds and flanked by a lion passant holding a sword and by a cannon and a flag; each corner monogram consisting of the yellow cypher of Karl IV Theodor surrounded by laurel branches bound with a red ribbon.

References

Bezel, Oskar: Geschichte des Kurpfälzischen Heeres ..., Bayrisches Kriegsarchiv, München, 1925

Grosser Generalstab Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II: Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Part 3 Der siebenjährige Krieg 1756-1763, Vol. 5 Hastenbeck und Roßbach, Berlin, 1903, Appendix 5

Pengel, R.D. And G. R. Hurt: Bavaria, Saxony & the Palatinate Supplement: Uniforms and Flags of the Senen Years War, Hopewell: On Military Matters, 1981

Rogge, Christian: The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006

Acknowledgments

rf-figuren for the initial version of this article.