Prussian Garrison Regiment X
Origin and History
The regiment was raised in Müncheberg in December 1743 to serve as garrison for the fortress of Glatz (present-day Kłodzko). It consisted of two battalions, each including a grenadier coy.
From 1747 to 1756, the regiment garrisoned Patschkau (present-day Paczkow), Ottmachau (present-day Otmuchow), Nimptsch (present-day Niemcza) and occasionally Münsterberg (present-day Ziebice). From 1753, its grenadiers were part of the garrison of Breslau.
On June 19 1756, Frederick II ordered to increase the regiment to 4 battalions. The 2 new battalions, who had no grenadier companies, were sent to Neisse (present-day Nysa).
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- since September 5 1747 to November 21 1765: Busso Christian von Blanckensee
After the war, the regiment retained its four battalions and garrisoned the places of Neisse (10 coys), Patschkau, Nimptsch and Ottmachau (5 coys).
Service during the War
In 1756, at the outbreak of the war, the regiment consisted of 4 battalions. Its third and fourth battalions were garrisoning Neisse. On July 28, the regiment received orders to prepare itself to relieve regular field infantry regiments in Neisse. Therefore, the four battalions were concentrated in this fortress.
From October 3 to November 7 1758, the regiment defended Neisse during the Austrian siege.
N.B.: During the war the grenadiers from the 2 wing grenadier company were put together with the grenadiers of Garrison Regiment V, forming the Standing Grenadier Battalion Nr. V Rath (please refer to this article for the details of the service of the grenadiers during the war).
As was the case for most garrison regiments, the musketeers and grenadiers of this regiment wore different uniforms. The present article describes the uniform of the musketeers. For the uniform of the grenadiers, please refer to the article dedicated to the Standing Grenadier Battalion Nr. V Rath.
|Coat||Prussian blue lined red with 6 pewter buttons on both sides on the chest, 2 pewter buttons at the waist on the right side and pewter buttons on each side to fasten the skirts forming the turnbacks
Privates were armed with a short musket and a bayonet.
NCOs wore uniforms similar to those of the privates with the following distinctions:
- tricorne with wide silver lace and a black and white quartered pompom
- silver laced cuffs
- no shoulder strap
- yellowish leather gloves
- black and white sabre tassel
NCOs were armed with a sabre and a white light half-pike measuring 7,5 Rhenish feet (2.37 m.).
NCOs also carried wooden canes (normally attached to a button at the top of the right front while carrying the half-pike).
Uniforms of officers were very similar to those of the privates with the following exceptions:
- black tricorne with a thin silver lace and 2 black and white tassels, 1 in each lateral corne of the tricorne (officers always wore tricornes notwithstanding if they were commanding musketeers, fusiliers or grenadiers)
- black neck stock
- no shoulder strap on the coat
- no turnbacks on the coat
- no trimming on the coat
- black and silver sash around the waist
- a silver and gold gorget
Officers carried white spontoons measuring 7 ½ Rhenish feet (2.36 m.) and an officer stick.
Drummers wore uniforms similar to those of the privates with the following differences:
- no shoulder strap
- shoulders decorated with white swallow nests (4 vertical and 1 horizontal braids)
Drummers carried a sidearm.
The drum pattern had ???.
Colonel flag (Leibfahne): White field. Centre device consisting of a silver “FR” monogram surrounded by silver palm leaves and surmounted by a silver crown. Grenades in silver.
Regimental flags (Kompaniefahnen): Light blue field. Centre device consisting of a silver “FR” monogram surrounded by silver palm leaves and surmounted by a silver crown. Grenades in silver.
N.B. the reverses of all colours were mirror images of the obverses
Bleckwenn, Hans: Die friderizianischen Uniformen 1756-1783, Bd. II., Infanterie II, Osnabrück 1984
Duffy, Christopher: Friedrich der Große und seine Armee, Stuttgart, 2. Auflage 1983
Engelmann, Joachim and Günter Dorn: Die Infanterie-Regimenter Friedrich des Grossen, Podzun-Pallas, 2000, pp. 146-147
Grosser Generalstab Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II: Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Part 3 Der siebenjährige Krieg 1756-1763, Vol. 1 Pirna und Lobositz, Berlin, 1901, App. 1
Guddat, Martin: Die Infanterie Friedrichs des Großen, Herford 1986
Haythornthwaite, Philip: Frederick the Great (2), Men-at Arms-Series No. 240, Osprey
Hohrath, Daniel: The Uniforms of the Prussian Army under Frederick the Great from 1740 to 1786; Vol. 2; Verlag Militaria, Vienna: 2011, pp. 440-445
Horvath, Carl Christian: Friedrichs II. König von Preussen Armee-Montirungen, Potsdam 1789. Vierte Sammlung
Merta, Klaus-Peter: Das Heerwesen in Brandenburg und Preußen von 1640 bis 1806 - Die Uniformierung, Berlin 1991
Martina Hager for the initial version of this article.
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.