Prussian Sailors

From Project Seven Years War
Jump to: navigation, search

Hierarchical Path: Seven Years War (Main Page) >> Armies >> Prussian Navy >> Prussian Sailors

Origin and History

According to a Cabinet Ordre dated July 16 1757, a company of 400 recruited sailors was established in Stettin.

During the Seven Years' War, the unit was under the command of:

  • since July 16 1757: Ship Captain Keller

The Prussian flotilla of the Lagoon of Stettin was disbanded on May 29 1762 and each vessel returned to its former role as merchant or fishing ships.

Service during the War

The sailors took part in all actions of the Prussian flotilla operating in the Lagoon of Stettin.

Uniform

Privates

For duty, sailors had no uniform. However, for gala, they wore:

  • a white mirliton (without wing) decorated with a black eagle
  • a white jacket
  • white breeches
  • a red sash decorated, in front, with a black eagle.

NCOs

no information found

Officers

Officers were dressed in the usual officer uniform of the Prussian Army:

  • black tricorne laced with a wide golden braid; black cockade
  • Prussian blue coat without turnback, 6 gilt buttons (arranged 2-2-2) on the chest on each side
  • Prussian blue Prussian cuffs with 2 gilt buttons on the sleeve flap above each cuff
  • Prussian blue waistcoat with gilt buttons
  • Prussian blue breeches

Musicians

no information found

Colours

no information found

References

Cremer, Peter: Die preussischen Landregimenter & -milizen, die Stettiner Haff-Flotille und das Verpflegungswesen der Armee 1756-1753, KLIO-Arbeitgruppe, Heimbach, 1987

Grosser Generalstab Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II, Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Part 3 Der siebenjährige Krieg 1756-1763, Vol. 1 Pirna und Lobositz, Berlin, 1901, Appendix 1