Origin and History
The regiment was created on June 15 1735 in Guadalajara by Colonel Don Juan Pacheco from pickets supplied by regiments garrisoning Ceuta (Toscana, Lisboa and Murcia). It was designated as “Regimiento Real de la Reina”. The regiment was then sent to Extremadura.
In 1737, the regiment was cantoned in Trujillo when it was ordered to go to Cádiz to assume garrison duty.
In 1740, on the eve of the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment embarked for Tuscany to join the army assembling under the Count of Montemar for the reconquest of Lombardy. It disembarked at Orbitello. In 1741, it was at the camp of Rimini. In 1743, it took part in the Battle of Campo Santo before retiring to Naples. In 1744, it bravely defended its positions at Fayola. In 1745, it took part in the attack on the entrenchments of Bocheta, in the siege and capture of Tortona, in the Battle of Bassignano and in the blockade of Milan. In 1746, it retreated to La Spezia and then fought in the Battle of Piacenza and in the Battle of Rottofreddo before retreating the the County of Nice. It was then transported to Naples where it remained until 1749.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- from at least January 1761: Colonel Don Cristobal de Pecho
In 1763, the regiment was transferred to Central America.
In 1769 the regiment was disbanded after a mutiny in Panama.
Service during the War
In May 1761, the regiment, who was garrisoning Cádiz, was transferred to Ceuta on the coast of North Africa,
|Coat||blue with white buttons on the right side and white buttonholes on both sides
|Waistcoat||red with white buttons, white buttonholes and horizontal pockets (also with white buttons and white buttonholes)|
Armaments consisted of a musket, a bayonet and a sword (brass hilt).
The colonel, lieutenant-colonel sargentos mayores and officers carried a spontoon and an officer stick. They used to hang this stick at the second button of the coat. The type of handle of the officer stick was different for each rank:
- gold for the colonel
- silver for the lieutenant-colonel
- silver (but only one finger wide) for the Sargento Mayor and the captains
- ivory for assistants, lieutenants and for the chaplain
- wooden with a silver ring for sub-lieutenants
Sergeants carried a halberd instead of a spontoon. Furthermore, their officer stick had no handle.
no information available yet
The coronela (colonel flag) of the regiment was white with a red Burgundian cross terminated in each corner by a medallion carrying the arms of the regiment (unknown) surmounted by a golden crown. In the middle: the arms of Charles III surrounded by the necklace of the order of the Toison de Oro (Golden Fleece).
The batallonas (ordonnance flags) of the regiment were white with a red Burgundian cross terminated in each corner by a medallion carrying the arms of the regiment (unknown) surmounted by a golden crown.
This article is mostly made of abridged and adapted excerpts from the following books which are now in the public domain:
- Clonard, Conde de, Historia Orgánica de las Armas de Infantería y Caballería, vol. XII, Madrid, 1851-62, pp. 327-331
Other sources Album de Taccoli, 1759
État militaire (circa 1737-1750), Anne S.K. Brown Collection
Juan José Torres and the Asociación Cultural de Modelismo Histórico Alabarda for the information and counselling provided for this article.