Royal Corse Infanterie
Origin and History
The regiment was raised on August 10 1739 in Corsica and travelled to France in November of the same year.
During the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment initially guarded the frontiers with Flanders. In 1743, it was at Berghes. In 1744, it embarked for the expedition to Scotland. On his return, it was stationed at Menin. On May 11 1745, it took part in the battle of Fontenoy. On October 11 1746, it fought at Raucoux. In 1747, it was at Malines. In 1748, it was at Berg-op-Zoom.
This regiment counted only one battalion.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment ranked 103rd, it was under the nominal command of king Louis XV and under the effective command of its successive lieutenant-colonels:
- since August 10 1739: de Villeneuve comte de Vence
- from January 18 1760 to November 27 1765: comte de Vence
On December 21 1762, the regiment was incorporated into Royal Italien Infanterie. Effective incorporation took place in March 1763 at Perpignan.
Service during the War
On April 23 1756, fearing for the coasts of Provence which were only guarded by II./Cambis Infanterie and five poor quality militia battalions, Richelieu ordered the regiments of La Viefville Saint-Chamond Infanterie and Royal Corse to reinforce this area.
By August 1 1757, the regiment had been transferred to the Isle de Ré in the Aunis country.
|Coat||grey-white lined grey-white with 12 yellow buttons on the right side and 1 yellow button on each side at the small of the back
|Waistcoat||red with 2 rows of 12 yellow buttons each, grouped 2 by 2; and 12 narrow white buttonholes|
|Gaiters||white with small black buttons|
Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet. Fusiliers carried a sword (brass hilt) while the grenadiers had a sabre.
Officers wore uniform quite similar to those of the privates with the following differences:
- gold laced tricorne
- silver gorget
- no turnbacks
- a wooden cane
The drummers of the regiment wore the Royal Livery: blue coat lined red; red cuffs, waistcoat and breeches; laced with the braid of the small Royal Livery.
The colonel flag was white with a white cross sown with golden fleurs de lys; carrying the golden motto “Per Haec Regnum” on the horizontal branch of the cross. Ordonnance flags had a white cross sown with golden fleurs de lys and carrying the golden motto “Per Haec Regnum” on its horizontal branch; with 4 green cantons.
The article incorporates texts from the following books which are now in the public domain:
- Pajol, Charles P. V., Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VII, Paris, 1891, p. 214
Anonymous, Troupes du Roi, Infanterie française et étrangère, année 1757, Vol. 1, ca. 1757
Funcken, Liliane et Fred; Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
Menguy, Patrice; Les Sujets du Bien Aimé
Rogge, Christian; The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006
Service Historique de l'armée de terre, Sommaire des forces armées Françaises à l'intérieur et à l'extérieur de la France - 1er Août 1757
Taccoli, Alfonso; Teatro Militare dell' Europa, Part I, Vol. II, Madrid, 1760
Vial J. L.; Nec Pluribus Impar