Origin and History
This ship of the line was built by P.B Coulomb in Toulon (France) in 1749. She was launched in 1751.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- 1756: M. de Mercier
The ship was striken off of the fleet in 1767.
Service during the War
In 1756, the ship participated to the amphibious expedition against Minorca. On April 9, despite a strong easterly wind, the French tried to leave Toulon. However, the Sage almost ran aground at Cap Cépet. The fleet finally departed on April 10. On May 20, the ship took part to the battle of Minorca against admiral Byng's squadron where a French fleet prevented him to bring reinforcement to Fort St. Philip de Mahon.
|Length||151 feet (46.02 m)|
|Width||40.6 feet (12.37 m)|
|Depth||19.6 feet (5.97 m)|
|Displacement||1150 tons (1043 metric tons)|
Anonymous, A Complete History of the Present War, from its Commencement in 1756, to the End of the Campaign, 1760, London, 1761
Fortescue J. W., A History of the British Army Vol. II, MacMillan, London, 1899, pp. 291-295
Pajol, Charles P. V., Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VI, Paris, 1891, pp. 3-19
Unknown author, Répertoire des vaisseaux de ligne français 1682-1780