Origin and History
The ship was built by John Lock at Chatham Dockyard and launched on April 14 1759.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- from April 1759: captain Henry Speke
- from July 1759 to 1763: captain Richard Norbury
In 1780, the ship was transformed into a floating battery. In October 1790, she assumed harbour service.
The ship was broken up in May 1810.
Service during the War
In November 1759, as soon as it became known in Great Britain that the French had sailed from Brest, the excitement was great and every effort was made to meet the situation. Orders were issued for guarding all coastal areas where the French were likely to make a descent. Troops were everywhere put in motion for this purpose. Furthermore, all ships of war in harbour were ordered out. The ship was the flagship of rear-admiral Francis Geary's squadron detached to reinforce Hawke's fleet.
In 1760, after the victorious return of sir Edward Hawke to Great Britain, admiral Boscawen sailed to command the fleet in Quiberon Bay, with his flag in the Royal William (100) and with rear-Admiral Francis Geary, in the Sandwich (90), as second in command. The blockade prevented the French from sending supplies across the Atlantic, and from interfering with British trade.
In April 1761, the ship took part in the expedition against Belle-Isle.
In 1762, the ship took part in the blockade of Basque roads.
|Length at gundeck||176 ft 10 in (53.90 m)|
|Width||49 ft 1 in (14.96 m)|
|Depth||21 ft (6.40 m)|
|Displacement||1821 tons (1652 tonnes)|
Blasco, Manuel, 3 Decks Wiki – British 2nd Rates
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.