Origin and History
The frigate was designed by Jean Geoffroy, built at Brest and launched in 1756.
Service during the War
In 1756, the frigate was part of the fleet sent to reinforce Canada. She left Brest at the beginning of April and anchored near Québec on May 11.
In October 1757, the ship was part of a French squadron under the command of captain Kersaint. This squadron had been sent from Africa to Cap-François (actual Cap-Haïtien) to escort a convoy of French ships to France. On October 21, Kersaint's squadron engaged a British squadron in the combat of Cap-François. The British ships were so badly damaged that they had to return to Jamaica for repair. Kersaint quickly repaired his ships and, seizing this opportunity, set sail for France with the French convoy.
To do campaigns from 1758 to 1763
|Length||??? feet (??? m)|
|Width||?? feet (??? m)|
|Depth||?? feet (??? m)|
Castex, Jean-Claude, Dictionnaire des batailles terrestres franco-anglaises de la Guerre de Sept Ans, Presse de l'université Laval, Québec: 2006, pp. 42-45
Clowes, Wm. Laird, The Royal Navy – A History from the Earliest Time to the Present, Vol. III, Sampson Low, Marston and Company, London: 1898, pp. 164-166
Vial J. L., Nec Pluribus Impar