Saxon Cuirassiers Organisation
Yearly, troops participated in training camps. In 1753, this camp was held at Uebigau.
In 1754, the Saxon Army was reorganised in two Generalate under the overall command of Field-Marshal Duke von Sachsen-Weissenfels. He was succeeded at the head of the army by Count Brühl who immediately reduced the size of the army.
Training of the cavalry was not better than for infantry and its regiments were not at full strength, lacking both men and horses.
At the outbreak of the Seven Years' War, the Saxon Army counted :
- 8 cuirassier regiments totalling 32 squadrons, including the cavalry units of the Garde
Composition and Organisation
A cavalry regiment (29 officers, 56 NCO, 1 kettle-drummer, 16 trumpeters, 400 troopers, 8 surgeons, a junior staff of 4 men for a total of 514 men and 393 horses) consisted of:
- 4 squadrons
Exceptionally, the Garde du Corps counted 649 men.
Each infantry regiment had 33 wagons and 150 horses.
Cavalry deployed in 2 or 3 ranks. Each squadron was subdivided into 3 sections, each further subdivided into 3 sub-sections. Cavalry practised the usual movements. The use of firearms while mounted was also practised, though, instructions called for charging at a gallop and relying on 'cold steel' only. Advance for an attack was done at normal pace for 20 paces, at strong trot for 50 to 60 paces and at full gallop till contact.
Grosser Generalstab Kriegsgeschichtliche Abteilung II, Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Part 3 Der siebenjährige Krieg 1756-1763, Vol. 1 Pirna und Lobositz, Berlin, 1901, pp. 152-155