Saxon Leibregiment Cuirassiers
Origin and History
The regiment was raised in 1680. In 1683, it took part in the relief of Vienna. In 1686, it served in Hungary.
During the Nine Years' War, from 1688 to 1693, the regiment served on the Rhine. In 1695, it was transferred to Hungary. At the end of the war, in 1697, it incorporated the disbanded Regiment Rosen.
From 1697 to 1717, the regiment took part in all campaigns in Livonia, Poland and Pomerania. In 1700, it was officially entitled “Kurprinz”. In 1713, it was renamed “Königlicher Prinz”.
In June 1717, the regiment incorporated men of the disbanded Leibregiment and Graf Moritz von Sachsen Cuirassiers.
In 1729, the regiment was renamed “Kronprinz”.
During the War of the Polish Succession, in 1734, the regiment campaigned in Poland. The same year, it was officially entitled “Leibregiment”. In 1735, it served on the Rhine.
During the War of the Austrian Succession, in 1741, 1742, 1744 and 1745, the regiment served with the Saxon army in Bohemia and Saxony. In 1746, 3 coys of the disbanded Regiment Anouciade were incorporated into the regiment. At the end of the war, in 1748, the regiment received 3 additional coys from Regiment Graf Ronnow.
In 1749, the regiment lost 4 coys when it was reduced to its peace time effective. By 1753, as per the État, the regiment counted 4 squadrons in 8 coys for a total of 514 men and 394 horses.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the effective command of:
- since 1753: Major-general von Graffen
- from 1763: Colonel von Rex
At the end of the Seven Years' War, in 1763, the Leibregiment was reformed in 4 squadrons. In 1764, a coy of carabiniers was added. In 1770, the latter was removed and joined the Gardedukorps.
Service during the War
At the end of August 1756, when Frederick II proceeded to the invasion of Saxony, the regiment retired to Pirna with the rest of the Saxon army. At Pirna, the regiment was deployed on the left wing under the Fürst von Anhalt, as part of von Vitzthum's Brigade. The Prussians blockaded the Saxon army in Pirna from September 9 until October 15 when the Saxons finally had to surrender. The entire regiment was then divided among the Prussian cavalry. The men absconding from this service were rallied in Hungary and served as grenadiers with the Saxon infantry along with the French armies from 1758 to 1761.
In 1761, the men finally received mounts and were incorporated into the reformed Garde du Corps (a regiment counting 4 squadrons).
|Headgear||black tricorne laced gold with a white cockade fastened with a yellow button; 1 red tassel in each lateral corne|
|Coat||white lined red with 6 yellow buttons (arranged 1-2-3) down to the waist on each side; 3 yellow buttons onder the waist on the right side
|Waistcoat||buff leather edged red without button (fastened with hooks and eyes)|
Troopers were armed with a sabre, 2 pistols and a musket.
no information available yet
no information available yet
Leibfahne: White field, centre device: gold shield of ornate design upon a wreath of green palm leaves, on top a gold crown, lined crimson, set with silver pearls and colored stones, on the shield is a red field on which the arms of Polands (eagle and knight) are in white, on the centre the arms of Saxony beneath the electoral hat.
Ordinaerfahne: Poppy Red field, in the centre the monogram A.R. in gold, crimson lined gold crown set with silver pearl and colored stones on a pedestal in white surrounded by pale green palm leaves, a gold design around the border, fringe in crimson and gold.
Bavaria, Saxony and the Palatinate Supplement: Uniforms & Flags of the Seven Years War. Researched by M.Lange and A. Sharman. Compiled by R.D. Pengel. Artwork by G.R. Hurt. Birmingham, 1981.