Origin and History
The regiment was created on September 19 1684 and took the name of the province of Soissonnais. Indeed, expecting a Coalition to soon form against France, Louis XIV raised 30 new regiments from September 1 to 30 for the defence of the various places of the realm. By raising one regiment a day, he avoided any problem of precedence among these new regiments.
During the War of the Polish Succession, the regiment was initially stationed at Kehl on the Rhine in 1733. In 1734, it was at Philippsburg and in 1735 at Klausen.
During the War of the Austrian Succession, the regiment initially served in Flanders from 1744 to 1747. In 1748, it was transferred to the Alps.
The regiment counted only one battalion.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment ranked 88th and was under the command of:
- since February 1 1749 to November 25 1762: comte de Narbonne
The regiment was disbanded on November 25 1762.
Service during the War
In 1756, the regiment took part to the French expedition against Minorca and to the capture of the British fort of St. Philip on this island. After the conquest of the island, the regiment returned to France.
From 1757 to 1762, the regiment was stationed on the coasts of Languedoc to protect this province against British amphibious expedition.
|Waistcoat||grey-white (blue in 1761)|
Armaments consisted of a musket and a bayonet. Fusiliers carried a sword (brass hilt) while the grenadiers had a sabre.
The colonel flag was white with a white cross. Ordonnance flags had a white cross and four blue cantons, each traversed by a diagonal yellow band. Ordonnance flags remained unchanged from 1684 to 1762.
Funcken, Liliane and Fred, Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
Menguy, Patrice; Les Sujets du Bien Aimé
Mouillard, Lucien, Les Régiments sous Louis XV, Paris: 1882
Pajol, Charles P. V., Les Guerres sous Louis XV, vol. VII, Paris, 1891
Rogge, Christian; The French & Allied Armies in Germany during the Seven Years War, Frankfurt, 2006