Origin and History
This regiment of dragoons was created by FML Count Lacy in 1758. Its main role was to guard the headquarters and to escort baggage.
Exceptionally, the regiment counted only 4 squadrons for a total of 13 officers and 452 men.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment inhaber (owner) was:
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was commanded by:
- since its creation in 1758: Lieutenant-Colonel Pantasch (promoted colonel in 1760)
- in 1760: Lieutenant-Colonel Friedrich Baron von Zeschwitz
- in 1761: Major Carl Baron von Enzenberg
The regiment was disbanded in 1763.
N.B.: the regiment was re-raised in 1778 for the War of the Bavarian Succession; and again for the French Revolutionary Wars.
Service during the War
On October 19 1759, a squadron of the regiment distinguished itself when it dislodged a Prussian outpost near Belgern. On November 20, the regiment took part in the Battle of Maxen where it was deployed in the first cavalry column of Sincère's Corps under the command of Lieutenant-General count Schallenberg while part of a company was attached to Major-General Baron Seckendorf's detachment occupying the heights of Malter near Dippoldiswalde. On November 7, a detachment of the regiment under Lieutenant Richter, who was dismantling the bridge of Leissnig, was attacked by Prussian hussars. The detachment repulsed the attack and took 15 men prisoners.
On July 19 1760, the regiment attacked the entrenchments of Weissenhirsch near Dresden and captured a position defended by 200 men with two guns. On September 17, it took part in the Combat of Hochgiersdorf where, along with Szechényi Hussars, it held its position on the heights of Bogendorf long enough for Ried's infantry to march to Zedlitz. On October 19, a detachment of the regiment was attacked near Düben on the Mulde and suffered some losses. On November 3, the regiment was present at the Battle of Torgau where it formed part of Ried's Corps.
|Coat||dark blue with 11 yellow buttons on the right side and 2 small yellow buttons near the collar (one on each side) fastened by a red band
|Waistcoat||dark blue with one row of small yellow buttons and horizontal pockets (each with 3 yellow buttons)|
N.B.: white as per Graeffer
|Breeches||red (white as per Graeffer)|
Troopers were armed with a sword, a pair of pistols, a musket and a bayonet.
Raspe shows a red aiguillette.
The Bautzener Bilderhandschrift shows a yellow laced tricorne, a red collar and buff breeches.
Brauer's plate shows a white strap on the left shoulder and buff breeches.
Donath's plate shows a yellow laced tricorne, a blue shoulder strap on the left shoulder, and buff breeches.
The officers (according to the Bautzener Bilderhandschrift of 1762) wore the same uniform with the following exceptions:
- tricorne laced gold with a green and white cockade
- gold aiguillette on the right shoulder
- pink saddlecloth and housings both laced and fringed in gold
Drummers of the regiments of dragoons usually wore the same uniform as the troopers heavily laced with yellow and black braids or a uniform with inverted colours.
Leibstandarte: White and heavily embroidered
- one side with the Blessed Virgin
- other side with the double eagle
Ordinair-standarte: Swallow tailed with gold fringes and gold embroideries
- obverse: Dark blue field pennant, central device consisting of Empress Maria-Theresa monogram with crown
- reverse: White field pennant, central device consisting of imperial eagle bearing the red-white-red shield on its breast and the collar of the Order of the Golden Fleece
Brauer, H.M.: Uniformbogen and Fahnentafeln, plate 95
Donath, Rudolf: Die Kaiserliche und Kaiserlich-Königliche Österreichische Armee 1618-1918, 2. Aufl., Simbach/Inn 1979, Teil III Blatt 2
Funcken, Liliane and Fred: Les uniformes de la guerre en dentelle
Graeffer, August: Geschichte des k.k. militaerischen Marie Theresie Ordens seit desselben Stiftung, Regensburg 1796, pp. 233-235
Grosser Generalstab: Die Kriege Friedrichs des Grossen, Hiller, Berlin, 1830-1913
Kornauth, Friedrich: Das Heer Maria Theresias: Faksimile-Ausgabe der Albertina-Handschrift, "Dessins des Uniformes des Troupes I.I. et R.R. de l'année 1762", Wien: 1973
Raspe: Accurate Vorstellung der sämtlichen KAYSERLICH KOENIGLICHEN ARMEEN zur eigentlichen Kentnis der UNIFORM von jedem Regimente. Nebst beygefügter Geschichte, worinne von der Stiftung, denen Chefs, der Staercke, und den wichtigsten Thaten jedes Regiments Nachricht gegeben wird., Nürnberg: 1762
Thadden, Franz-Lorenz v.: Die theresianische Kavallerie - II. Teil, Die Zinnfigur, Klio, 1968
Thümmler, L.-H.: Die Österreichiches Armee im Siebenjährigen Krieg: Die Bautzener Bilderhandschrift aus dem Jahre 1762, Berlin 1993
Wrede, Alphons Freiherr v.: Geschichte der K. und K. Wehrmacht. Die Regimenter, Corps, Branchen und Anstalten von 1618 bis Ende des XIX. Jahrhunderts, vol. III, Vienna: 1898, p. 938
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.