Origin and History
The frigate was built by Thomas Stanton at Rotherhithe and launched on September 4 1758.
During the Seven Years' War, the frigate was under the command of:
- from October 1758: captain Henry Angel
- in 1759: captain Henry Augell
In 1777, the frigate was reduced to a 28-gun.
In 1779, the frigate was restored to a 32-gun.
The frigate was broken up at Deptford on July 31 1783.
Service during the War
In the summer and autumn of 1759, the frigate was part of commodore William Boys' squadron blockading the French squadron of Thurot at Dunkerque. In October, Boys' squadron was driven from his station by a gale. On October 15 at 5:00 PM, Thurot seized the opportunity, slipped out through a thick fog and made to the northward. Boys followed as soon as possible but was not able to overtake Thurot. Ultimately, Boys contented himself with cruising off the coast of Scotland with the object of preventing any sudden raid there.
To do: more details on the campaign from 1760 to 1762
|Guns||32 and 12 swivels
|Crew||approx. 220 men|
|Length at gundeck||125 ft (38 m.)|
|Width||35 ft 2 in (10.72 m.)|
|Depth||12 ft (3.7 m.)|
Blasco, Manuel, British 5th Rates, 3 Decks Wiki
N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.