Origin and History
The regiment was raised within Clan Sutherland on August 11 1759. It was a new type of regular regiments: the “fencibles” who were destined to serve within the borders of Scotland for the defence of its territory. Indeed, the British Government did not wish to extend the militia system to the newly conquered Scotland. This regiment was known as the “Earl of Sutherland's Battalion of Highlanders” or alternatively as the “First Sutherland Fencibles”. It initially counted 9 companies (each of 2 sergeants, 4 corporals, 2 drummers and 100 men) recruited in Sutherland and Caithness. A tenth company was soon raised. The 10 companies of the regiment included two grenadier companies whose musicians were pipers. There was no light company.
During the Seven Years' War, the regiment was under the command of:
- from August 11 1757 to 1763: William, 18th Earl of Sutherland
The regiment was disbanded in 1763.
Service during the War
Throughout the war, the regiment assumed garrison duty in various parts of Scotland.
No details are known of the highlander uniforms of this regiment besides the fact that it had yellow facings.
No details are known of the colours of this regiment.
Campbell, Alastair : A History Of Clan Campbell: From The Restoration To The Present Day, Vol. 3, Edinburgh University Press: 2004, p. 191
Fortescue, J. W.: A History of the British Army Vol. II, MacMillan, London, 1899
Sutherland, Malcolm: Sutherland Regiments