Origin and History
The ship was built by Wells & Stanton at Rotherhithe and launched in 1747.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- in 1757 to at least August 1758: captain Thomas Latham
- in September 1759: captain William Brereton
The ship was transformed into a hulk in 1760 and sold in Bombay four years later.
Service during the War
In Mid July 1756, when vice-admiral Charles Watson was summoned to Madras after the fall of Calcutta, the ship was part of his squadron. In Mid October, it was part of the escort of the British expedition against Calcutta. By December 15, it was at Fulta with Watson's squadron. On December 30, the fleet advanced up to Alighur where Clive's force was disembarked. On January 2 1757, while Clive advanced on Calcutta, the 4 ships of the line of admiral Watson's squadron engaged the enemy at Fort William. The troop of the nawab soon deserted the fort.
In 1757, the ship was part of admiral Watson's squadron operating in Bengal. In March it took part to the expedition against Chandernagore. On March 22, Pocock, whose ship (Cumberland (66)) drew too much water, transferred his flag in the Tiger. On March 23, she was among the ships who bombarded Chandernagore for three hours, forcing the fort to surrender. She lost 13 killed and 50 wounded during this action.
On March 24 1758, the ship was part of vice-admiral Pocock's squadron assembled in the Hooghly river. It took an active part to the operations on the coast of Coromandel. On April 29, she was among Pocock's ships who took part to the combat of Cuddalore where she was slow to get into her assigned position and was very hard pressed until assisted by the Salisbury (50) and Elizabeth (64). After the combat, Pocock's squadron was forced to return to Madras to refit. At the end of May, the squadron made an unsuccessful attempt to relieve Fort St. David who finally surrendered on June 2. A few days later (June 6), the squadron sailed for Madras. On July 25, Pocock's squadron sailed from Madras, intending to engage the French squadron of d'Aché near Pondicherry. On August 3, the ship took part to the victorious combat of Negapatam where she was replaced by the Elizabeth (64) as the leader of the British line. During the combat, she cannonaded with impunity the Zodiaque (74) and Duc d'Orléans (54) while the two ships were entangled together.
On September 10 1759, the ship took part in the battle of Pondicherry where she was seriously damaged. Her captain, William Brereton, was wounded during the engagement. After the battle, on September 11, she was towed by the Weymouth (60).
In 1760, the ship was transformed into a hulk.
Anonymous, A Complete History of the Present War, from its Commencement in 1756, to the End of the Campaign, 1760, London, 1761, pp. 181-184
Blasco, Manuel, British 4th Rates, 3 Decks Wiki
Clowes, Wm. Laird, The Royal Navy – A History from the Earliest Time to the Present, Vol. III, Sampson Low, Marston and Company, London: 1898, pp. 161-163
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
Wikipedia - HMS Tiger
N.B.: the section Service during the War is mostly derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.