Origin and History
The ship was built by John Lock at Chatham Dockyard and launched on September 25 1756.
During the Seven Years' War, the ship was under the command of:
- from September 1756: captain James Galbraith
- from October 1757: captain Michael Everitt
- from 1759 to February 1763: captain John Evans
In 1799, the ship was transformed into a hospital ship.
In 1802, the ship was renamed “Sussex”.
The ship was broken up at Chatham in October 1816.
Service during the War
In September 1757, the ship served in the Downs.
On November 20 1759, the ship took part in the decisive battle of Quiberon where she carried the flag of vice-admiral Charles Hardy. This British victory eliminated any serious threat from the French navy for the rest of the war.
In 1760, the ship served in the Western squadron until 1763.
|Crew||750 to 770 men|
|Length at gundeck||171 ft 2 in (52.17 m)|
|Width||48 ft 8 in (14.83 m)|
|Depth||20 ft 6 in (6.25 m)|
|Displacement||1781 tons (1809 tonnes)|
Blasco, Manuel, 3 Decks Wiki – British 2nd Rates
Phillips, M., Michael Phillip's Ships of the Old Navy
N.B.: the section Service during the War is derived from our articles depicting the various campaigns, battles and sieges.